1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L USA L 2000 passive tones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Prog Happy, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Prog Happy

Prog Happy

Apr 14, 2019
    maryland
    Greetings
    Looking at the G&L L 2000 for next purchase.. I have had a SB2 some years back-good bass powerful sound - no L 2000's in my area to test drive

I have heard the L2000 can cover most of the SB 2 passive sounds -
    most likely the single coil mode wiring option is required to achieve this ?

haven't seen any demos show casing the passive tones..

please share your experience with the L2000
    cheers!

2. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I almost never use the preamp in my L-2000, definitely prefer passive. Nice option though, if you need some extra drive. I have both JJ and PJ SB-2s as well, and they all sound different. The 2000 (mines a '96) punches hardest, you won't be lost in the mix.

One Way, bdgotoh and jd56hawk like this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Seconded!
    Two L2000s.
    Haven't had to switch to active in four years.

4. I went through 17 different basses in just over three years trying to find a main player. After an L2000 came into my possession, I ordered a custom shop L2500 as my main player. Just love the tone of the L2000/2500. I have mine strung with EB Cobalt flats, because I thought round-wounds were too bright for this bass, but the Cobalt Flats retain a lot of high end zing.

I generally play passive basses, but use the preamp on my L2500 to drive my fixed input Orange 4 Stroke a little harder. When I play through my Trickfish, I sometimes choose passive, sometimes active.

I would say that the L series has a sound of it's own, but I love it's sound. With the single coil option, I feel I can get a great Geddy like jazz tone, and have started playing more Rush tunes on it than my '74 Jazz reissue. For all out ballsy bass, it's fantastic. But I can also switch to the Neck pickup in Parallel mode dial back the volume and treble and get a great smooth P-like sound.

Also, the three G&L's I've owned have my favourite necks.

5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I just got a Tribute L2000 last week and still in the process of testing it out. Being that the Tribute and the US version use the same pickups, they should sound pretty similarly. Made a quick and dirty phone camera video to show a fellow bassist, (bad recording I know) but just wanted to give him some idea of the passive mode on the bass and compare it to a Fender P bass I got a couple of days later. This is just the G&L bass side of the video. Both test songs were done passive, just adjusting the bass/treble levels and none of the other switches or active mode.
    It's a very versatile bass. I owned a Tribute SB2 previously, while there are differences due to the pickups used, the L2000 just offers more variety and options even some passable SB2 tones.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  6. Prog Happy

Prog Happy

Apr 14, 2019
    maryland
    Thank you. did you go with the maple or rosewood board ?

7. Prog Happy

Prog Happy

Apr 14, 2019
    maryland
    if I may ask.. since you are playing Rush do you use the l2000 to venture into in active Wal era Geddy tone on tunes like Turn the Page?

8. Prog Happy

Prog Happy

Apr 14, 2019
    maryland
    thanks for sharing that video I appreciate it! I was hoping it could do some of the SB2- and more . I want to play just one bass now - thinking the G&L l2000 is the best route to cover prog rock and even to cover andy taylor's work plus I think it really nice looking bass with the huge SB's

9. Not really, no. I played a CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz for nearly 15 years before venturing into other basses. So that was the tone I was intimately familiar with. Tunes I've been playing recently are Animate, Distant Early Warning, Vital Signs, Dreamline and New World Man.

10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    no problem, sorry it didn't sound great but it was just meant to be a quick video to a friend to consider a G&L L2000 or Tribute. If I had to choose between an SB2 or an L2000 and only had one choice and played a varied selection of music, I would pick the L2000 without hesitation between the two. The only thing I wish they would have done (but I've heard someone modded their L2000, is to put a pickup blend knob instead of utilizing that switch to select neck/both/bridge pickups - I think that would add quite a lot to making it even more versatile. I also owned an M2000 which had that knob and found it extremely useful. I'll probably consider modding my L2000 with this in the near future.

11. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    The L2K has huge bottom that has to be rolled waaayy back. I get close but not quite.

12. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Mine is an all-maple Bi-Cut neck, so no board. I really like these necks, all my G&L basses are this type.

13. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Geddy's Wal era sound was a huge change and is radically different than any other Rush era. So on the 2K I run the treble about half, bass nearly off adjust as needed but you will use very little, both pickups or the bridge in series, and most important thing is park your fingers just at the front edge of the bridge pup. Sounds pretty close to A Show of Hands sound. All passive BTW.

Edgetone likes this.
  14. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    the Overexcited Guitarist Response switch

2cooltoolz and spufman like this.
  15. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I love my L2K in passive mode, and mostly play it that way, but I also have specific purposes for both active and active + treble boost modes. It really is a beast of a bass with plenty of tonal variety. I have no experience with SB2 as the L series is the most interesting G&L Leo invention to me. I dig my L2K for prog rock stuff too!

16. Prog Happy

Prog Happy

Apr 14, 2019
    maryland
    thanks - Vital signs on of my fav Rush tunes

FRoss6788 likes this.
  17. Prog Happy

Prog Happy

Apr 14, 2019
    maryland
    =)

18. Prog Happy

Prog Happy

Apr 14, 2019
    maryland
    thank you it seems the L2000 in passive is a favorite of the G&L crowd- .. I think I will get one

cheers

One Way and mouthmw like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021