Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L vs Fender American Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 1, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hello the fellow bassing people :D

Now I'm sure this topic has been covered before but I can't find exact information I want to in the previous topics.

This is concerning the newest models and only the 5 string ones.

So for fender its the new active 5 string jazz with the Ken Laurence pickups. The G&L i'm interested in is the L2500.

I recently tried a fender american deluxe and was very very impressed, I actually prefered it to the BB East that I tried as well. The tone flat was thunderous, the B sounded massive and while I felt the string spacing was very quite wide it was more than comfortable. I instantly liked it where as when I tried a Stingray 5 I was abit iffy about a few things. The bass was black with very small silver flecks in it and a maple fingerboard, the 4+1 headstock.

So i'd like a bit of clarification on the specs of this bass, I think it's an 18 v pre, I also think the bridge allowed for both through body and top loaded, any other info would be great.

Now the G&L I haven't tried one recently that wasn't a tribute but I was always impressed with the options, sounds and feel, but I noticed that the tribute sounds and feels very much similar to my Ibanez which is good but only for a mid range bass. There is one major niggle I have with the G&L and thats the battery compartment. Is there any way to cut the back cover so that a compartment can be into it so i'm only modding a small bit of plastic and not a £1000 bass.

So people an overview of each bass would be nice, I want something that could stand up to the riggers of touring but then also be perfect for the studio and cover a large style of music.

Thanks guys I look forward to your responses

2. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have both of these instruments. My jazz is a 99 and my L2500 is a 2000. Both are professional instruments and both are durable. But two completely different monsters. If I had to pick one I would pick the G&L. The build quality is better and it is much more versitle. I wound my fender up with flatwounds and it gives me a very vintagey vibe.

The fender usually sits in the case for long peroids of time. It only comes out when I need a vintagey sound. The G&L is always out of its case. I play it constantly at home and on the stage.

I love my G&L. I love my Fender.
    If I had to pick one it would be the G&L.

There are sound samples of the L2500 on the G&L website.
    post here if you need more information or want to ask any specifics about the instruments.

danman

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    What about fi I throw two more brands into the mix.

Valenti and a Sadowsky Metro (S/H),

I could buy two Valenti's for the price of a bass i'm concidering but would need to work real hard to do since I was aiming to do this after Christmas but through your opinions in.

danman one thing I was wondering is what are the truss rods made out of in the L-2500 and how many are there in the neck.

Also do you find that lack of a mid control makes certain sounds difficult to achieve.

Thanks

4. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Truss rod.....
    Material? some kind of steel I would suppose. There is only one of them though. As far as set up the 2500 is the easiest to play bass that I have ever had or played in the store. One truss rod is all you need in this puppy.

No mid control.....
    When ever I want more mid I just flip the pickup selector to the neck pickup and pow instant vintage midrange. Conversely I can throw the switch to the bridge and get instant stingray. The two band tone control is easy to use and it is impossible to make this bass soud bad.

I usually play out of a gk 700rbII and a Eden 212xlt.

Also the parallel series switch affects the midrange. I never had a problem with mid on this bass. Even without all of the switches all you need to do is back off the bass and treble and out comes the midrange. The are active controls we can boost and cut while the mid just sits there.

danman

5. I'd say the American Deluxe. Mine is very dependable and very very good. I've tried G&L's, and they were really well-built bases, but I do prefer the sound of the Jazz.

6. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    heck...definitely the G&L. i love my G&L and i would never trade it for a fender. leo put everything he had aquired over his lifetime into G&L so you know you are really getting a much more thought out bass when you get the G&L. also, fender isnt quite what it used to be, but G&L is still pretty much how leo left it when he died. so, if you think about the history behind each bass, you would go with the G&L. if you think about the playability of wach bass, you would go with the G&L. if you think about the sound and electronics of each, you would go with the G&L.

just my $.02

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What you say about the Fenders may have been true a few years back but the newer stuff is pretty awesome. Iv'e tried the G&L's and I found them very heavy but decent. I just wasn't grabbed by them. The newest dlx's sport samarium cobalt noiseless pups (by Bill Lawrence) and I must admit they are "awesome." I own a FMT V (with scn pups) and a Victor Bailey jazz (with noiseless pups), both are well done offerings from Fender. I also own a 98 MIA dlx jazz with Suhr pups and it holds it's own. Fender is making some awesome basses on the higher end dlx side. Fender went through a bad time not to long ago and most sort out something else to play, but the main design remains the same with more refinements and pup options to choose from.
    Like I said, I have passed on every 4 and 5 string G&L I have seen and played, but that's me,

8. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    so maybe im quick to judge the fenders based on their reputation with me. sorry. i know that i am biased toward G&L just because i couldnt be happier with my G&L. but, let me just say that tayste should decide for himself which he likes more. if you plan on buying the bass new, G&L makes everything to your specs and the bass can be "pimped out" as much as you want it to be. take a look at G&L's website to get a glimpse at all the options and finishes they offer. www.glguitars.com and then if you decide to order a G&L, get a quote from http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/ as they tend to have really good prices and really good customer support.

9. I'm trying to decide between a fender rosco beck V and a G&L L-2500, i'm not a fan of the lowb and will be putting a high c on which ever bass i decide to go with, but it is hard to decide without being able to play the damn things.

10. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    I'm not all tech about gear yet so I doubt you'll find my input useful at all, but just wanted to say two things - G&L's are HEAVY! I loved playing the one I tried, but I love my back more.

And two, I second the guy who recoomened Buffalo Brother's. Their shop is local to me so I've actually been to the store. They have a decent amount of G&L's (and incidentally were the only place i could find that had Ric's in stock so I could play one) and they're super friendly/helpful/well priced.

The end.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I'll say Valenti 1000 times over any G&L or Fender Ive ever played.

I sold my G&L to pay for my Valenti.

12. rwagne2

rwagne2

Aug 2, 2001

Actually, all G&L basses have a totally passive tone stack. The 'Bass' and "Treble' knobs are actually hi-cut and lo-cut filters. Also, the L-2000 and L-1500 have what amounts to a builtin 'bright' switch (hi-pass cap bypassing the volume pot) that is always on. That is a mod that you can do to a fender passive bass as well - makes the volume control more useful.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've owned both basses and hated the Fender. I thought the G&L was fantastic.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

15. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    While I have never owned a Fender, I do love my G&L ASAT. I am a huge fan of the bi-cut neck. If you don't know what that is, check the G&L website under the Features section. I am very picky about my setup, I like my strings at a medium action. I need to have it just right. I do my own setups and G&L holds a setup for a very long time. I haven't needed to touch the truss rod since the first week I recieved it, and that was in January. :bassist:

16. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Having read over this thread, I can only imagine what the heck is swirling around in TaySte_2000's head. "G&L!" "no Fender!" "no, G&L!!!"

Well I've owned the both. Okay, I've own the older Jazz and compared to the American Standards and Deluxes of yore, G&L smokes them. However, this new batch of American Jazzes (and P Deluxes for that matter) is pretty darn impressive. In terms of quality and versatility, I think they're about neck in neck. Fender has definitely gotten their act together from what I've tried out over the last 2 years.

Now I'm partial to G&L. They didn't have to clean up their act; they've always been pretty consistent. Even their "budget" Tribute line is pretty darn impressive. I've owned Fender Jazzes with EMGs and Jazz Deluxes for years until I got my hands on my G&L ASAT bass and that was it for me.

TaySte_2000, this is one of those cases where you'll just have to go out and tool around with both of these basses. This isn't a case of one bass being crap and the other excellent. They're both great instruments. It’s a matter of personal taste like apples & oranges.

Good Luck,

r

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    See your close I was all fender no G&L no fender, when I tried them I prefered the fender so I'd probably go for that unless I try a G&L that really amazes me but you know what's actually been going round my head the most. THE DOLLAR IS WEAK BUY A VALENTI hmmm these voices have never been wrong before all 12 of them.

Thanks guys keep it coming

18. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Ok, I've been too embarrassed to ask before so I guess I'll just have to come clean now. What the heck is a VALENTI? Is this some high end, fancy pants Jazz bass (ala Sadowsky for instance) or a good quality Asian import? Or is it a good quality European axe and TaySte_2000 is actually in England or Germany and can get one inexpensively?

r

19. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    It's a bass assembled by our very own Nino-Brown do a search there's a lot of buzz about them and if you buy one you might be able to get lucky serial number 007 how cool would that be.