1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L vs Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grogsi, Jun 14, 2007.

1. grogsi

grogsi

Oct 2, 2005
    which is better brand of bass for quality and value for money?

2. Gnosticbass

Gnosticbass

Dec 24, 2006
    USA
    G&L hands down.I've owned both.G&L basses are much better made all the way around.Although I like Fender basses,even though I currently play Musicman basses.(But I'm keeping it in the Leo Fender created family)

3. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    hahaha who cares

4. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    this guy, apparently. Help a brotha out.

5. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    I'd say my G&L Tribute blows MIM Fenders out of the water, construction and build quality wise, there is no contest.

6. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    Fender=Toyota / G&L=Lexus, or Fender=Chevy / G&L=Cadillac, if you prefer...........Roughly the same price MIM vs. Tribute or MIA vs. BBE. Don't get me wrong, I have both brands, but G&L quality is obvious, while the new Fenders are definitely more "mass produced". G&L quality is very consistant, while the Fender stuff varies, even on the same models. Go to a large music store and compare Fenders of the same model. They will vary greatly from one another, even the MIA stuff. If you find a Fender that you like, buy it, because if you order one it may be different!

Good Luck!

7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I owned a G&L Tribute L2000 for a year, and I loved it. VERY nicely put together, finish like glass, satin neck (natural ash/maple fb combo) with a comfortable 12" radius, not too heavy, and versatile tone. It was my number one gig bass: I took along my Fender 51 Precision RI sometimes, but the L2K was the cat's colostomy.

In comparison, my Fender '50s P is a hideous color (so-called fiesta red -- more like orange bubble gum), has a glossy maple neck with a crowned 7-1/4" radius, and generally looks like a refugee from a '50s auto showroom. It is as nicely made as the Tribute, but, hell, Fender has had 50 some years to figure that part out.:eyebrow:

So why did the '50s P replace the L2000? And why did I trade the Tribute for a Fender Jazz fretless?

In a word, personality. When I played the Tribute on gigs, the band thought it was OK, and never complained. But when I took the P to a job and we started a song, the band all turned around and said "THAT'S IT!" It's the SOUND. :D

I have gone from five basses, no Fenders, to four basses, three Fenders because they have personality. Now if I can figure out how to score a P fretless....

trothwell likes this.
  8. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    +1 on the G&L

9. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    +1000 to the G&L. I own a US 2500 and its really the only Fender related bass that I really love. I own a Stingray 5 too, but it's not coming close to the G&L

10. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    if you want a very nice fretless P at a great price check out Bongomania's black fretless P in the classifieds. great price .. great looking bass.

I have been eyeing it myself as it's local for me, but I recently ordered a Lull MV4. :hyper:

check it

enjoy

11. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I would put a G&L Tribute bass against any Fender USA. At almost half the price, there is no contest.

It's a massacre if you pit a Tribute VS MIM Fender :D

12. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Well, I loved my Tribute, but the band loves my MIM '50s P! :eek:

Pfschim, thanks for the lead. I'll check it out. :ninja:

13. +1 G&L

i have a G&L L2000 fretless that i've had for about a year. i like it so much i have a fretted L2000 on the way.

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I would have to agree that G&L makes superior quality instruments to Fender. That said, I still love my Fender basses.

15. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    For fit and finish, the G&L will almost always be nicer than a regular "American Series" Fender. About the same or at least close with the AVS Fenders.

When it comes to tone, the Fender wins in my book every time. I currently own both, and have played many of each, and unless you prefer a more modern tone ( I don't) the Fender easily wins the "classic tone to the bone" contest. You'll really notice the difference when you start playing with the band. The Fender sits in the mix much better than the G&L's IMO.

16. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I would LOVE a G&L that sounded like my P. =sigh= Right above my computer screen is a photo from earlier this year of me and L2K, natural ash and maple. What a doll! [I mean, the bass:p )

Fenders are ugly, G&Ls are pretty.

Fender uses funky colors of paint, G&L has nicely finished wood.

Fender uses more curved fingerboard radii, G&L uses flatter.

Fender uses gloppy gloss on the maple fb and neck, G&L uses satin.

Pfschim, too bad that P has a 32" scale. I just can't get along with anything other than 34" (had a 32, had to sell it).

17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I agree the G&L Tributes are much better than Fender's MIM Standard line, but the more expensive MIM Fenders like the 50's Classic Precision and Reggie Hamilton model are extremely well built. And Fender's MIM Standards seem to have improved lately.

I think U.S. G&L basses are comparable to American Series and American Deluxe Fenders, though they definitely have better finishes than the American Series Fenders. They're probably more consistent too, due to more careful wood selection. While I think Fender's quality is unfairly criticized by many who mistake a poor GC/Sam Ash setup for poor quality, it's true that some MIA Fenders are better than others. I compared two new Am. Ser. Precisions with rosewood boards today, and had a strong preference for one over the other.

Tone wise, I love both. For hard-hitting, open, raw tone, nothing beats G&L's MFD humbuckers. But if I had to choose between Fenders and G&L's L-series for all my basses, I'd take the Fenders. They're the classic tones. They always work. They feel like home -- the bass equivalent of mama's home cookin'.

18. 34 Blues

34 Blues

Oct 2, 2005
    Oh God, here we go again with another one of these stupid comparison posts. Any instrument by any manufacturer can be great, or suck

19. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Get an older G&L LB-100 or SB-1 (second version) and put a Fender pickup in it. There ya go.

Fender uses gloss finish on CIJ re issue-ish basses and MIA AVS basses and some MIM re issue-ish basses, Satin on the American Series and Standard MIM's.

G&L offers satin and gloss finishes on their necks. You can get them either way, at least on the American made line. Can't speak for the Tribute series, as I have no idea what's available on them. All the Tribby's I"ve ever played were satin.(YUK)

20. ConspiracyBass

ConspiracyBass Leo Got It Right.

Jan 22, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I own a G&L 1505, MIA Fender Jazz V Deluxe, and a MIM Fender Jazz V.

I love my G&L and will never get rid of it. Ever. But I like the string spacing of the Jazzes more and the neck just in general. In terms of tone, I like the G&L more because its raw as all get out and when you add a little distortion its get that much better. My MIA Jazz definetely sounds better than my MIM. But in all fairness the MIM gets the job doen, even though plan on putting some Barts in her and making the bass active.

But if I had to choose, my MIA Fender would win, but I don't have to choose. So, they'll both stay!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021