1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L vs Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grogsi, Jun 14, 2007.

1. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    What's wrong with discussing the differences between two manufactureres, at a similar price point, that target similar markets?

I'm sure lots of people cross shop Fender and G&L.

I find nothing "stupid" about compairing and contrasting these two brands of instruments.

These threads aren't nearly as annoying as blank profiles IMO. :D

baris keskin likes this.
  2. Have had a bunch of both, still do. The G&L is made very well, all the time. The Fenders can be hit or miss.

That said, at this time I prefer Fender. It fits what I'm doing with my band...

3. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i find that my G&L L2000 tribby is great for rock and punk, as its loud, aggressive sounding (i guess some would call that growl), and really cuts thru. it also has a variety of sounds, so its possible that you could find a tone you like. i paid $400, used, for it. its made of swamp ash, and is nicely constructed. the gig bag that came with it is VERY nice, with good padding, solid construction, and plenty of pockets and extra features. (much nicer than i expected it to be). i have had no complaints. i should also mention that it is korean made.

i also have a MIM jazz from 2000. it is also well made, and has a good tone. i feel that this bass could be used from beginner to semi-pro levels (caveat, i could see it more as a b/u in the semi-pro arena than as a primary). i feel that the worst part of this bass is the pick-ups. to me, they have too low of and output, and will hum once you get above 9.5 on the pup volume. this is not terrible, but it is noteworthy. a $100-200 upgrade in pickups (and possibly pots), or a onboard pre-amp, DRAMATICALLY improves this bass.

that said, here are my OPINIONS of both, FWIW.

-korean Tributes are better put together than older MIM's (pre-2000). BUT, MIM's have gotten significantly better in the last few years, and Tribs are now being made in indonesia...so they may equalize in quality, or even change places.

-american made G&L's are as well made as MIA fenders. the trick is to look for used american G&L's. they are not as popular as fenders, so they dont hold thier new value...but they do hold their used value very well. 7-800 for a well made american bass is a GREAT value. (unless you are talking about wishbass :) ). NOTE: some of the older G&L's have a 3-bolt neck. some players swear by them, while others think they dont hold well, so YMMV. (i have no personal experience w/ 3 bolt necks, so you will have to talk to others)

-based solely upon my experience, i feel that my L2000 is better for rock and punk, while i would go to my p or my j for funk, r&b, jazz, world, etc. that said, i have yet to try out a G&L sb-2 (but its on my list).

my l2000 has become my main gigging bass for my punk band. i have since replaced the neck on my MIM-j with a fretless neck from warmoth, and will soon change out the pick-ups with fender cs 60's and geddy lee pots. i use my franken-p as a back-up to the G&L. if my G&L were lost, i would buy another, korean or american, as a replacement without hestitation. i dont feel like i need any more basses, but if i do buy another, it will probably be a G&L sb-2.

4. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City

+1,000,000,000,000,000.99

Thanks for saying it.....

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I bought my first g**tar in 1971. Looking past the thrill of owning a new axe, it was a piece of $&%*. Made in Japan, when that did NOT mean what it means now.

By contrast, the modern era of CNC machine-made basses is a blessing, and allows for much higher quality for lower prices. I have owned Korean-made Ibanez, Squier II and Tribute basses, as well as an Epiphone Biscuit resonator, and they were all nicely made (the Squier was made out of plywood, hey, not the worker's fault) with invisible seams, satin or gloss finishes, and decent tuning machines.

I also own a CIJ Fender 51 RI, and two MIM Fenders: the '50s RI and a Jazz fretless.

You'd be hard put to find any flaws on any of the instruments, other than the limitations imposed by the "reissue" issue, so to speak. All are well made, well finished, and quite playable instruments.

I think G&L has consistently outpointed Fender in what they demand from offshore manufacture, whether Japan, Korea, Indonesia or what have you. Fender [Squier] are clearly made to a price point, with questionable materials and components.

But, dammit, my Squier II Precision, crappy as it was in some ways, was a killer-SOUNDING bass, and that's the test. That's why I traded off my Tribute, as versatile as it was, as nicely made as it was, for a Fender, as odd a duck as IT was.

Like I said, I just wish the Tribute sounded as good as the Fender...and I spent many a sunny day trying to tease the right sound out of it. Lots of good sounds, "close" to a Fender, but it never made it to the point that made my bandmates turn around and say "THAT'S IT!" the way the P did.

6. ahhhh!!
    look at musicman!!!

7. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I have owned a USA 1980's P, a 2500 G&L Trib, and a MIM jazz. The tribute cost me the least, helpd up the best and is the only one I still own.
    +1 G&L

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021