G&L vs. G&L Tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quizzo515, May 10, 2003.

1. I was wondering, what are your guy's impressions of the G&L Tribute models. I know that the tributes have the american pickups and are foriegn made. Does the craftsmanship suffer and is the tone, and versatility up to par with it's american brothers?
  2. There have been a couple threads about this. The main difference I've gathered is that the bridge on the tributes isn't as good as the original G&L, in addition, the Tributes are made out of Basswood, not Swamp Ash, and basswood is softer than swamp ash or alder so it's less durable.

Overall, from what I've heard, the sound quality is very close to the regular G&L's, but certain components have been cut back on to save costs (the aforementioned bridge). I guess if you can live with these and are content with having a "budget" bass then the Tributes are a good choice.
  3. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I think some of the Tribute basses are swamp ash.
  4. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea the main difference is the body wood(although if you get a more costly finish on a tribute bass, it will come with a swamp ash body) the bridge isn't as good as the basses MIA, and the tribute basses are not handmade. All of the basses made in America are handmade.
  5. tonester

Jun 1, 2009
    chicago il
    commercial user
    there are a lot of differences to me.first and foremost the feel of the tribute l2000 is not the same as my mia.
    also the wiring is cheap and the parts are cheaper.the bridge as mentioned looks the same but is cheaper
    and the tuning keys are junk.for a beginning player they are good instrument.but if you are serious about
    making playing an instrument the rest of your life buy the American model.they are some of the best basses
    on the market and can compete with any custom made basses out there.
  6. smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA

The Tributes feel like a cheaper bass. The sound is great and the playability is fine, but they feel, and look, like an inexpensive copy. Which they are. If all you want is the sound a G&L will give you, then the Tribute will work fine. But if you're looking for a nice instrument, one that every time you look at it you say "what an awesome bass!", then the US model is the way to go.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Maybe somebody can enlighten the OP of all the updates done in the last 11 years.
  8. I owned a tribute 2500 for a month or so. I sent it back and purchased a mm sterling 5.
    the good about the tribute: neck was straight and flat. frets were level and action was nice. sound was great. sound is very versatile.
    the bad about the tribute: very heavy. fret ends and fretboard area was visibly filled due to poor fret install quality, but the frets were level and action was nice. Not a fan of the multiple switches. The finish (blue burst) was not like the online photos at all. I'm assuming they had trouble with the burst and ended up making the color darker all over to hide blemishes. There were no blemishes just a darker less vibrant burst.

I love the mm 5 sterling. I also own a 4. If I didn't own the mm basses, I think I would be content with the tribute, but I'm tainted now.
  9. Fleebag

Fleebag Quack! Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA

I'm laughing with you..... :)