G&L VS Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harpo, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I now own a 99 G&L L-2000 which I love but Lakeland have really caught my eye is is worth the extra money for the
    Lakeland 4-94 over the G&L L-2000 both are handmade . I have not played a Lakeland but the next time am in NY I will check them out .
  2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I have a Lakland 55-94 (spelled w/o 'e'). Great
    bass, but very expensive. No one can tell you if
    it is worth the money but your hands, ears, and
    wallet. Wonderful basses....give one a try!

I do think the G&L is a better bang for the buck,
    but if you are only going to have one bass for the
    next several years, it might be worth the extra $.

3. FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    I like laklands alot. They much better than G L's (my opinion). But honestly, forget the lakland, buy a mike lull, iv played both, and like the lull a lot more. It is built better.
  4. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Rather than making sweeping, nebulous statements like
    "it's better built", it might be more useful to
    cite specifically what you find superior about a Mike
    Lull bass. I've never played one, so I would like
    to know!

Aren't Mike Lull's all J-bass pickup configurations?
    I guess this is good for a J bass lover, but this
    limits versatility somewhat. Incidently, the
    G&L 2500 and the Lakland 55-94 are both known for
    good versatility of tone.

5. FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    the Laklands r definately versitile and i do like their pickup config, but the mike lull is also very versitile. The j-bass config is still the most versitile overall config (ya i am a j-bass lover). Mike Lull basses also have incredible settup and fret jobs.

P.S. Ur right Captain, i shouldnt have used a sweeping statement like i did
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Actually the Lakland setup would be even more versatile. You get the standard Jazz bass setup (two single coils) using the coil selectable bridge MM style pickup. The G&L L series is also more versatile (series/parallel mode) active/passive modes.

I love J basses, too, I have four Fender J's and a few J-inspired basses. The Lull's are nice (I've played a few). I wouldn't consider Lakland's quality second to anything I've seen. Some may not like the sound as much but the quality is there. Of course YMMV

BTW I have a Lakland 55-94 and a G&L L2000E, both very nice ... but different.
  7. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Your looking at some real nice bass's!If you decide to go with Lakland or Lull give Steve(Dude)Barr a call.Hes a great guy and will give you a good deal on either.You can reach him through the FDP.Hes a regular there and has his own website but i dont know the address offhand.Vintage bass trading co or something like that.Good luck!
  8. lowfreakwency

Dec 28, 2000
    You can find him at http://www.vintagebass.com or email at vintgebass@aol.com (no "a" in vintage).

I'll also vouch for his professionalism. He's very helpful and will give you a great deal. He will build a long-term relationship with you the old fashioned way - through good customer service.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I own an L-2000 & I must say I LOVE IT!!! I've never owned a Lakland but a friend of mine has. My personal opinion: It is suped up StingRay. The offer beautiful tops, the MM & J pick up & all access neck. The bass was beautiful, but I just don't like the StingRay sound & that is what it sounded like to me. If I played it alone, it sounds AWESOME, but when I brought it to the studio, I couldn't get a sound I like. I've owned the L-2000 for 5 yrs or so, & it is awesome. I've never had a problem w/it.

If you want to try a nice bass, try a Sadowsky Modern 24 fret 5 string!!!! or any one for that matter. All I can say about this bass is............

It's better that words can describe!!! & I've owned Fender J's, P's, Music Man Stings, Sterlings, USA Spectors, Euro Spectors... The Sadowsky is the best feeling, playing, & sounding bass I've playd so far in my 10 years of bass playing!!!

No, Roger isn't paying me for this plug :)
  10. Harpo, just a point, not important, but G&L's are not handmade, neither are Lakland's.
  11. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I thought G&L's were hand made? Thats their sales pitch, anyways.
  12. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I thought they were hand made too. All the ads say so...

..."Soda Pop is for mass production" on a neckplate ad, "Even the logo was put on by hand" on a headstock ad, "This cable just got lucky" written on a cable going in to an input jack.

If they're not, that is very deceiving!!!! :(
  13. FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    Mike Lulls are handmade I believe, just thought i should point that out.
  14. Essentially they are. They don't use any computer controled machines. All are cut by a person. Same with the sanding, contouring, pickup wiring, finishes, etc.

If you take the virtual factory tour on their website you'll get a pretty good idea what they're all about.
  15. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Just my opinion, but I think the term "hand-made" is used in place of "quality" too many times. The fact that necks an bodies are rough-cut using CNC machines doesn't make them lesser quality. If the wood quality is the same, and the parts are hand-fitted (this is where "hand-made" really matters, I think) an instrument that's machine-cut can easily equal the quality of one that's entirely hand-made and shaped. Look at the neck joint on any Lakland. I personally don't see how a neck joint could be much tighter. I've owned an all-handmade MTD, and that joint wasn't as tight as my Lakland. I don't think that "hand-made" should always be interchangeable with "top quality", either. That surely depends on the builder.
  16. Back to the original ? I have a G&L L-2500 I absolutely love this bass, someday I want to buy a Lakland, however the price difference makes them non-comparible, however I don't think dollar for dollar that the Lakland is better.....The Lakland is a better bass, but for the money G&L can't be beat, and if you think about it, the way you can bang up an instrument on stage, I would be afraid to bring some basses to shows.....
  17. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    I have had both.I had the very first L-2500 custom ever.And I have a Lakland Willie weeks prototype.Been a big G+L nut for a long time(several waay early L-1000s,and L-2000s)I also have some valuable early Stingrays.This is my first Lakland.It is also my first 35" scale bass.
    I loved my L-2500,but the B was alittle floppy.And the string spacing was a little tight for me(even though I have small hands I play very hard).
    Both are quality instruments with great tones.
    For me the playability of the Lakland gives it an edge,when talking about 5 strings.
    I think if I was going to get a four string,to gig with,I would get a G+L.And save some dough.
  18. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hey, this is a good thread!

In response to previous comments: I don't agree the
    the Lakland product is a suped up Stingray, although
    is does look like one. I own the 55-94 and I want to
    buy a Stingray to get that sound. More balls and
    slice - less refined.

I have medium to small hands too, and I can play
    the 55-94 pretty well. Sometimes I wish it was 34.5.
    The B string is excellent. I've never played the L2500,
    but I've heard good things. Mention of a floppy B
    string gives warning though.

I totally agree that the L2000 is a severe bang for the
    buck bass. You can pick them up for around $800! A
    44-94 is going to run you at least twice that.

One question about the L2000 - anyone had any funkiness
    associated with the 3 bolt neck?
  19. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I don't have any experience with the G&L 3-bolt neck, but it's really one of the only features that keeps me from buying one. That's not the fault of the instrument, but just my bad experiences with Fender 3-bolt necks of the '70s. Plus, for years, it was common knowledge that "you don't want one of those 3-bolt Micro-Tilt Fender basses or guitars..they're unreliable and unstable". Old habits die hard! I can remember a time when you couldn't give away a '70s Jazz because of that. Now look at their value on the market.
  20. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The newer G&L's have 6 bolt necks. The neck isn't going anywhere. I have an L-2000 w/a 3 bolt for about 7 yrs, it is an 84, & I've never had a problem yet. :)

All I meant is that it was one of if not the first major company to the MM pick-up w/a Jazz @ the neck. Yes,it has bartolini's, but when I played the one my friend had & I played the MM p-u alone. It has the J in the neck w/gives it alot more diversity than a music man. It was very Music Man-ish. I personally like the look & feel of the Lakland. I want to try one that has 2 J p/u's. I've just never been a fan of Music Man's sound. I love the feel & the sound if I were playing alone, but when I played it w/my band, I could never get a good sound. (I should say a sound I liked.)