Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L vs Stingray Re:sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skorzen, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Ok here is my Question: I have a G&L L-2500 that I am running throught a Bag end 4X10 and a sansamp rbi to qsc amp. I can not seem to get a sound that cuts through very well with the G&L. It just deems with all the options I have the one that cut through are only those that either lack ary substantial low end, or are very nasle sounding.

So I have a two part question here:

Is this a normal issue with G&Ls? I am wondering if perhaps there are elctronics issues with mine, I hear so much great stuff about these basses, but this just isn't living up to the reputation of this bass. I tried playing my Ibanez ATK through the same rig and it sounded great, so I know that the issue is at least not entirly the amplification.

I played a stingray at GC earlier this week and liked it alot, It lacked the amount of versitility of sounds that the G&L has, but it's sound was a really good one. So the question here is am I stupid to consider getting rid of the G&L to get a Stingray? Ideally I would like to have both, but that may not be possable.

2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Sounds like you answered your own question. If the L-2500 doesn't sound right to you and a Stingray does, go for it. Why keep a bass that doesn't sound good to you? Many times I've picked up a bass or amp that people rave about and sometimes I could tell within 5 minutes that it wasn't going to work for me.