Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L vs. Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phunkjam, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Well folks,
    GAS has taken it's toll on me and I'm in the market for a 4 string bass. I wandered over to the bass palace today, walking in there just makes me drool. Anyway, I tried a stingray, and it felt great. Lightweight, and wonderful tone. However, my teacher has me use his G&L 2000 for lessons, and the tone on that is out of this word. The only problem is that it's like putting a 10 pound weight on my shoulder. But I'm probably going to run down to the shop this weekend to try out their G&L's and compare them with the stingrays. I was just wondering what your opinions were? I know many of you have had experience with both of them. Feel free to suggest other basses as well. Sorry for the length.

Keep groovin....
    Nate:D

2. I own both a Stingray 5 and G&L L2500, and the G&L actually feels a bit lighter to me. I also like the tone and versatility of it more.

In fact, since I just got a Czech Spector 5 I may be putting the Stingray up for sale soon. I think the Spector does everything the Stingray can do and do it better.

3. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    i like the rays punch and the g & l's versatility. id prolly go with the ray if i were playin rock. for different styles of music i would go with the g & l. they are both very nice basses and im sure you would be happy with either. :cool:

4. I love both of those basses....but if I had to choose one it would be the G&L. It's so versatile and all its sounds are brilliant. a Stingray sounds like a Stingray, which, of course is great too. Damn, now I want one of each again......:D

5. I would probably go for the Stingray. But that is cos I have only played one G&L.

BUT that G&L was a fantastic playing/sounding bass!

6. I have only compared the 5-string version of each. I have nothing to say bad about the GnL, sounds good, feels nice, is very well built... I just like the sound of a Stingray better.

7. I own a G&L L2000 and played a stingray. As you've said the G&L has tons of tone and growl, but mine seems lightweight. I was suprised to hear you say that its heavy.

My bias opinion would be to go for the GnL. My other more valid reason would be, the Ray has only one PU near the bridge, and GnL has both the bridge and neck PU. So based on versatility, the GnL would win this one. However if you're looking for that Ray sound(bridge), well then no mistake would be to go for the Ray. Other than that, GnL.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Some G&L's are heavier than others. My Ash L2000E is heavy. I have a nice strap. No problem.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Hey, you're from relatively the same area as me.
    (I'm from the lehigh valley)

I suggest taking a trip to Guitar Villa, in Nazareth. They carry a good inventory of basses.

Their prices are a bit high.
    Although, what I did was play it there, then ordered my bass from bass central.

It's kind of rude, but it helps so I don't have to pay an arm and a leg.

(P.S. I bought a Music Man Sterling, so I'm sure that explains my input regarding the question at hand. ;) )

10. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I prefer the G&L L-2000 to the Stingray because you get two pickups and a LOT of switching options. As someone mentioned previously, there are many sounds in the G&L, but a Stingray is a Stingray. The L-2000 is more comfortable to my hands, but the ash ones are freakin' heavy!

11. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Also, G&L has some amazing finishes to offer!:p

12. I have one of each and I think they are both very nice basses. I play the stingray most of the time, but I don't plan to part with either any time soon.

The G&L L2000 is light weighted and has many tonal options. The neck and finish is pretty but looks fragile.

The Ernie Ball Stingray is medium heavy but loud and has both high and low frequencies that can be
    dialed to taste. The non-finish on the neck makes it super fast.

Both.....great!!

13. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I've had both and don't think you can go wrong with either. I personally prefer the L-2000, but that's because I like basses with neck pickups (at least Fender-style/position neck pickups -- never tried a bass with a Gibson right-at-the-end-of-the-neck pickup position). Weight-wise the 2 Stingray's I've had (one translucent finish so ash, the other opaque so poplar or alder) seemed a bit heavier than my alder-bodied L-2000.

I found both 3-band Stingrays to be too noisy for me while my L-2000 was quiet. However plenty of people have reported noise problems with G&Ls (they aren't shielded at all) so that's an individual bass feature.

Personally I think the Stingray is the best looking four string bass ever made but that wasn't enough to get me to keep one.

14. SockMonkey

SockMonkey

Oct 26, 2001
    Irvine, CA
    as a stingray owner i am kinda biased but i have played many a bass that has tried to copy the ray. ive only played one G&L and while it was a sweet bass, i feel that if you want the stingray tone, there is only one way to get it and that is to buy a stingray.

15. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    For me personally, it's no contest.

I'll take a G&L over a Ray every time.

16. They're so different.
    The ting is when you buy a Stringray you know what you'll get.
    But G&L never had model that is so highly identifiable. :p besides I've always found the G&L's kinda ugly.
    Bottom line is you should choose the one that works best for you and not listen to creepy unknown guys (like myself) who only wants you to join their Stingray or L2000 club.

Listen to what your ears and fingers tell you.

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Once upon a time, Nino owned an L-2000, a StingRay & a Sterling.......

......time went on & the Ray & the Sterling got sold off, bought another Ray a few other Sterling's.......

.....Those other Sterling's & the Ray got sold. off also.....

.....8 years later, Nino stills owns the L-2000.

The 1st Ray I owned was an original 1976 & I REALLY REGRET selling it. :( The other ones didn't compare to the L-2000.

18. SockMonkey

SockMonkey

Oct 26, 2001
    Irvine, CA
    im curious did the L-2000 get the Stingray tone? i loved the G&L i played it had 2 MM style pickups i think it was an L-2000, but i'd always wanted a 'ray the G&L was 899 used and i got the 'ray new for 899 w OHSC, but with all the praise i hear for G&L here the GAS is starting to kick in for one. but i dont think i could afford it without unloading the stingray and i love that bass to death. is the L-2000 really superior?

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You can get a Ray sound, but it's not dead on, exact. They're both great basses, but I loved the 1984 L-2000 best. I had a mid 90's L-2000 & an ASAT but the '84 sounded better.

If your'e happy w/your Ray don't sell it unless you compare it to an L-2000 (or any other bass, for that matter) & do a real close comparison.

20. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    What it comes down to is... If you're looking for a 'Ray... There's only one way to go.

If you're looking for what the L-2000 has to offer... There's only one way to go.

I liked how the Sterling was smoother than the 'ray, so I bought it. :)