1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L: Worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hesham8, Oct 2, 2008.

1. hesham8

hesham8

Mar 21, 2008
    I've been looking at a few new basses, specifically the L2000, the G&L Semi-Hollow ASAT, and the MusicMan StingRay.

Judging from the price and the reviews, along with what I've heard over the years about G&L, G&Ls are apparently the best manufacturer "evar" and their instruments are the most versatile in the industry, and can replicate most - if not all - sounds.

True?

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Nice basses that don't get enough respect due to crappy marketing (IMO).

I would advise buying a used one as they seem to have fairly low resale value.

3. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    They are also underpriced. American G&Ls are on par as far as quality goes with any other U.S. manufacturer. The sounds you can get from a L-2000 are incredibly varied, but all of them are usable. I recorded most of my band's demo with one and it is the best sounding bass I've ever heard on a recording. Very powerful and plenty of low end to get beneath everything else.

You won't be disappointed, but they do have big necks and can be heavy, so if ergonomics are a big thing for you, consider something else.

4. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    i just got an L - 2000 .. I've tried quite a few over the last year including:

Musicman Sterling HH,
    Fender J and P,
    Rick 4003,
    Warwick Thumb NT

the L - 2000 blows them all out of the water .. at least with the sound I want. They aren't "AS" versatile as you might think but the tone coming out of it is incredible.

5. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    in my opinion yes, they are well made and are a swiss army knife when it comes to sounds, i just posted some sound clips in the G&L forum called G&l L2500 2008 clips, this will give you an idea of the sounds you can get, i might add the bass can get many, many sounds.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The ASAT semi hollow is, in my opinion, for looks only. Don't expect any hollowbody to the sound.
    That aside, G&L's kick arse. However, they are very, very different from anything MusicMan does. The MusicMan sound just doesn't work for me, no matter how many I've tried. The G&L is much more in your face, to me. I own 12 G&L's, and no MM products.

You'd best play some of each and decide which suits you better sonically.

USA G&L's can be ordered with any of several neck width and radius. While the 2500 used to be "kind of a chunk," it's slimmer in 08.

Plenty of info down in the G&L forum, and over at the BABP forum as well.

7. I custom ordered my L2000 10 years ago. It has been, by leagues, my favorite "live" bass. It has a very aggressive sound that I love. It cuts through in a live mix so perfectly. It fits me very well.

I've had one QC issue- (although it's more of an 'operator heaspace/timing issue') in that the saddle lock screw broke. It's a plastic screw- and I was expecting it to be a metal screw- so as I tightened it further, I stripped and broke it. I think they should use a metal screw.

My other complaint- although it's more of a personal preference issue- I never use the bridge pickup soloed. I didn't like the 3 position switch- so I replaced it with a 2 position "Neck Solo" and "Bridge and Neck" switch.

By the way it's "evAr." Learn to use your capital letter like a big kid, would ya? :D

Also, for whatever it's worth- I've pummeled that bass mercilessly. I've flown it in baggage across the country, I've bumped into things, spilled things on it, burned it, ran it out of battery, scratched it, bent, folded, spindled, mutilated (when was the last time you heard that combination of words together?) IN any case- it's held up- it shows some wear, but it still looks good. It sounds great. It's tough.

I love my G&L.

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The ASAT come with a smaller, Jazz style neck as it's default option.

9. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    www.myspace.com/animatedrecords

Shameless plug, but I recorded "Start Something", "Nowhere to Go", and "Grow Up" with the L2500. It went straight from my amp to the board. No EQ, very light compression... if you want to hear it in a band situation. On Grow Up it is thunderous and awesome. No other bass could have done that. :)

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

The MFD Humbuckers are mighty special just be careful about their necks, I had 3 defective ones in a row.

11. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I dont' own one, but one day off I swung by bass NW and played a few basses I was curious about, including an alembic and a G&L L2500. A few opinions:

I play a 4 string, and every time I try a 5 string, it feels weird (like riding someone elses' bike.) The only 5 string that really felt comfortable right away was the G&L

both the alembic and the G&L had lots of tone options, but the alembic clearly required a time investment to wrestle a useful tone out of. The G&L tones all seemed immediately useful. Plus it was half the weight :)

If I lost my main axe tomorrow, I'd probably replace it with a G&L.

12. hesham8

hesham8

Mar 21, 2008
    Alright! You've definitely convinced me.
    Now, how do I go about ordering one...The only online retailer I know of that sells G&L basses (I'm not about to drive out 200 miles to buy a G&L) is MusiciansFriend - and they only have one option (Color, neck, etc) on the L2000. Furthermore, I don't want a tribute - I like to buy the best so that I won't come back as quickly, y'know what I mean?

13. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    I have a Tribute L2000. Superb build quality. Love the tonal variety. Neck is more of a P-neck...meaty, but it is also extremely comfortable to play.

Can't get the same love for the Tribute L2500 personally--neck is just too big for my tests, but many others are crazy about theirs.

Definitely check them out.

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I recently purchased a new hollowbody ASAT, and it's an excellently built instrument. I haven't had a chance to run it through it's paces in a full band setting yet (been enjoying my '68 P too much), but as others have noted, it as a broad pallet of sounds. It certainly has some sounds that are P-ish or J-ish, but I'd most characterize it as sounding like a G&L.

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Do a Goggle search for "G&L L 2000" and you'll come up with a bunch of dealers. I bought mine from Steilberg String Instruments (www.store.stringinstruments.com) - nice people, fast shipping. Other places are Jive Sound, Bass Exchange, Guitar Adoptions, Bass Northwest, Bass Central,...

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Everyone loves pics. Hope this helps your decision making.
    newL2Kbody.
    oldnewL2Ks.
    IMG_3852.
    L25K-1.

I got more, if you want more.

17. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    My bandmates specificially request I use my MIA SB2 over my Stingray and MIA P. It just thumps and grooves like no other.

18. deggial

deggial

May 27, 2008
    Athens, Greece
    I have a Tribute L-2500 and I don't think I could be happier with another bass, except perhaps a USA model. The versatility in tone is just amazing and this was exactly what I was looking for.

When I bought it, I tried both the USA and Tribute models. The USA models generally are much more carefully made, have more options (of much significance is the fact that there's neck options, whereas Tributes only have a specific neck), but the sound isn't all that different.

While it is versatile, don't expect it to sound exactly like a Stingray or a J- or a P-. You can get very close to the sound of any other bass, but you'll never nail it exactly. If you want a very specific sound, say a Stingray, then buy a Stingray. If you want a versatile instrument, then a G&L L-2000 will be excellent.

19. hesham8

hesham8

Mar 21, 2008
    Well, then, come January, I'll be enjoying my new toy. And to think I almost got something else. :)

20. jmaestro

jmaestro

Feb 13, 2008
    Florida
    Man, I'm feeling those tracks. Especially "Grow Up". Great job!