1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L: Worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hesham8, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    guitarmannyc.com
    matt desilva is a great G&L dealer...

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    MM and I ordered from G&L at around the same time, and we both got defective truss rods. This was in 2006. G&L has corrected this problem, so I don't think you need to worry about it. Now that my L-1500 has a perfect neck, which was one of the first to get the PLEK treatment, the playability is just spectacular.

Also, keep in mind the "Swiss Army knife of basses" label implies, to some, that the L-2000 can imitate the sounds of several other types (P, J, StingRay, etc.). That's not really the case. G&L basses sound like G&L basses, because nobody else has MFD pickups. And this is good, because MFD pickups totally kick ass. But the L-2000 can approximate some other basses -- particularly P-basses to my ears -- and it produces such a wide array of tones that it can be used for just about everything.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    At one point in my "bass quest" I had 3 USA G&L basses:

a fretted L2500, swamp ash, honeyburst, birdseye neck/board
    a fretted L2000, swamp ash, blueburst, maple board and neck
    a fretless L2000, honeyburst, unlined ebony board, maple neck

The only reason I don't still is that I bought a couple Anniversary Ken Smith basses, which I sold in a few months, and then a couple Modulus basses that I sold....

you get the picture.

They are great basses and I've though of gettong another L2500. You can get nice deals used.

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    craigb has a trib 2500 for $400 in classfieds right now...screaming deal.

5. White L2000=goodness. I want more.

I have a tribute, and it was worth every euro I spent on it. I can only imagine how much of a good steal a U.S. G&L is.

6. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Music123 sells them, but if you're looking online I would definitely check out Rocket Music (www.rocketmusic.net). They have a forum here on TB, and Greg the owner is absolutely awesome. He'll hook you up.

7. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    very nice and unique sounding band,i like all the songs esp. i love no where to go, the G&l L2500 sounds great on that song, anyway good stuff.!!!!!

8. We could always use more G&L pics:bassist: Your G&Ls always look awesome, Chef.

I'll just add my voice for the OP's benefit...G&Ls rock - hard! I love my honeyburst L2K, and if I weren't deployed right now, I'd post pictures of that baby as well. Here's the thing - I've used that bass in at least 50 shows in the year prior to my deployment...and it ALWAYS fit the bill. The MFD humbuckers are amazing...I've actually moved to always playing mine in passive mode as the output on these puppies is HUGE. The organic tone of the bass just sits *perfectly* in a live mix....clear, bold, articulate and in-your-face.

Additionally, I believe the US made G&Ls have one of the best finishes around. After all the public play time mine has received, it is in brand new condition...the finish is so deep that the comments I have received have included statements like, "That finish looks so deep that you could lose yourself in it".

Anyway - another big +1 for G&L basses...if you can afford it, the US made models are probably THE best bargains around for US craftsmanship that is easily in the same class with all the US made big boys. For whatever reason - marketing, exposure, etc. - prices are insanely low for these instruments.

Jay

9. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    You know you want it!
    6ihsakguaz.

10. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Here's a few of the G&L's I've owned over the years... still have the '84 L-2000..

IMG_4189.
    IMG_3757.
    IMG_5213.
    IMG_4665.

11. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Indeed I do!

I had a lefty ASAT a few years ago. I was never able to warm up to it, unfortunately. Nothing to do with the tones, which were awesome, but it was an ergonomic nightmare IMO. I don't think the Tele-style body lends itself well to a comfortable playing bass. The lack of an upper horn made the first frets feel a mile away and forced my fretting arm to position in an awkward way, causing fautigue at gigs throughout the night. It also weighed a ton. Oddly enough, I own a similarly designed Schecter Baron bass which exhibits none of these problems.

I'd definitely like to find a lefty L2000 some day though.

12. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Actually, they have a few neck sizes. Find one you like. And weight is a big problem for me, but the 8 or so around here are all under 9 lbs. except one, which is about 9.5, but that one has a tone that slays them all.

Agreed with that. I was very disappointed in the HB --I REALY wanted to try one when they came out and ran all over LA looking for one. Called the factory even, just to find one to try. And it sounded like my solidbody ASAT. Oh well....

Matt is great. He's tapped into the Leo-mojo-source or something. If you're buying new or just need parts, you'd be a fool not to check with Matt.

Now I must kill you with pics....

Flame top ASAT:
    IMG_1607.
    IMG_0332.
    IMG_0247.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Spiritfield: that L2K is a fine piece of ash...you still got that?

Passive El Toro: mine's active, and I don't care for the passive tone. The preamp must be masking something in passive mode, cause those pickups ought to sound better than that, passive. Nord Dual Coils rawk.

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Typically not an ASAT fan; but those are nice;)

15. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    IMG_3852.

That's a nice looking bass.

I'm partial to Stingrays and Bongos, but no complaints bout the G&L guitar I had other than a twitchy jack ($3.00 fix!) and it was a little heavy.

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Long as we're heavin' pics about today:
    eltorcu.
    sb2bodywide.
    afterfront2.
    car1kfront.
    l2ke1.

l2kefretless.

17. Spiritfield

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Yep, playing it now... so far it's survived "The Great Purge of 2008". :bassist:

18. Spiritfield

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    (sigh) a few others that have gotten away...

IMG_4029.
    IMG_3850.
    IMG_4630.
    IMG_2210.

G&L worth it? Yep, every penny...... :)

19. deggial

deggial

May 27, 2008
    Athens, Greece
    My Tribute L-2500:

l2500tribute_2.