1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L Wunkay (L-1000) Could this be all original?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by betavision, Mar 15, 2013.

1. betavision

betavision Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I was doing an image search for G&L L-1000's and came across this bass that was posted on the LowEnd forum a while back

http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/vi...ghlight=&sid=93b2d02a39b9514f7c7304d04cbc8377

Is there a possibility that this could be all original? Maybe a prototype? Or is this all aftermarket?

Kind of cool looking to me. Bridging the gap between Musicman and Fender.

Makes me wonder if this bass would have sold way better with a pickguard installed?

IMAG1496.

IMAG1497.

2. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    I'm no gandl aficionado but it looks to me like a pick guard was just slapped on there. And I like it

3. betavision

Jul 1, 2009
    It makes the Wunkay look so much like a Sabre bass.

4. I don't think they ever came with a pick guard and/or pickup cover. It does look cool though.

5. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    It's definitely an early one, likely '81 based on the pickup pole pieces and the finish. If by "all-original" you mean the pick guard & pickup cover, then no, but the rest of the bass looks original and is very nice indeed!

6. betavision

Jul 1, 2009
    Without the pickguard, the L1000 looks so unique. But with this pickguard on, it made me realize that the body is exactly the same as the Sabre bass body.

I wonder if Leo kept the pickguard off because it would cause too much friction with Ernie Ball?

7. Rebmo

Rebmo

Aug 19, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I have an 80 with a little different pickguard on it. Like it also. I don't know if I would have added it, but it came with it and did not deter me at all from buying it.

Attached Files:

8. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    I guess I'm a stick in the mud, but I prefer no PG on the elonekay.

9. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I bought an L-1000 new in '82 and probably 4 times sketched out a template for the pickguard I wanted to have made - a lot like a telecaster or mustang, rounded at the E-string side, following the horn on G-string side, the bottom ended by the p/u like a '51 P. Still have the bass, and glad now that I never had it done.

10. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I just stumbled across this thread after reminiscing about an old L-1000 I bought many years ago (2004?). I added a pickguard to it to cover up damage. There were letters carved in it and other scratches.

That's my bass! I bought it for a flip. Never really played it. Wish I kept it. I think I paid $165 for it.

Pics from my eBay auction...

GampLpaddedcase_zps5db8610a.

GampLbodyclose_zpsbf8da4f1.

11. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Very interesting. What did you use for a pickguard?

12. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I made a template out of construction paper and sent it off to a custom pickguard maker. I think it's garden variety black/white 2-ply material. Probably paid $30 back then for it.

I remember having to make the pickguard run up the lower horn to cover all the body damage. It's a mess under there. Thankfully a decent looking guard design covered it all.

I didn't put that pickup cover on it. It also looks like someone blacked out the red paint surrounding the pickup, which shows through in my pics.