G + L ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joseph Sheldon, Jan 4, 2003.

1. I'm sure there has been plenty of threads on these basses. But I am interested in some feedback. I am a lefty and been perusing the southpaw guitar sight. They have a few lefty 4 and 5 string G+L basses. I'm realy curios about what you guys think of the fit and finish of them, the sound of them, and the playability. I'm looking for punchy electronics that are still pretty versital. The neck of a bass is always so important to me. For me stingrays are alittle chunky for me even though they have awsome tone. I'm sort of the thin neck guy. I just read another thread from a lefty guy that was looking at the Schectors I was curios about these as well. I even think he was looking at the same sight too. Maybe the Japan Tobias basses on the Musicyo.com sight would beter suit me for a similar price range. Even though price isn't really important to me on this dicision.

CONFUSED --- OVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have a GL L2000. could you please tell us which model are you interested in?

G&L is the last company where Leo Fender, the Godfather of electric bass, worked. G&L are fenderish basses with a more present, versatile sound. the L serie is very versatile. i use to consider them modern fender. basses that fender should have done if they were a little bit more present on designing and producing new basses. they have some really interesting features like the Magnetic Field pickups and the brodge design.i am a big fan of their bass line.

you can find their great website at: www.glguitars.com
  3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The G&L 5 string basses that I've played have all had very chunky feeling necks. The SR5 neck is slim compared to the G&L 5's that I've tried.

4. ASFAIK G&L:s four strings are made with two different necks, one P/Stingray-like and the other more J-like (i e narrower, I don't know anything about their thinness). Don't know which is standard, though, bur I think it's the first of the two before mentioned.
    And if you like the Stingray tone, but want a bit more versatility, a thinner neck and overall lighter package, be sure to try the MusicMan Sterling. It's, more or less, a down scaled Stingray, and also a very good bass.
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    if you visit the page "options" on the G&L website you'll find all the info about their necks.

i think that it's a good variety.
  6. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I love my JB-2. It's a passive J with a lightning fast neck. Better tone than my Fender J, with better fit and finish. Build quality is equal to my Stingray, with perfect weight and balance. I don't mind how it looks, either.
  7. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Joe, I have the SB-2, its passive with a Jazz style neck. It will punch your lights out. But it sounds like your looking for an active bass. you should check out the L-2000 or the L-2500. Tons of punch and sounds. Their hand made in the US, and can be had for a steal on ebay. I also have an Schecter Robert DeLeo, its a real nice bass for the money but not in the same league as the G&L. I love the sound of the L-2000, you might not, so check a few out then decide. Happy shopping.