Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Is there a site with a sound bite so I can hear what a G&L sounds like?

I'm a big fan of the way they look...dear lord :D

It'd just be nice to know what they sound like :D
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, they are pretty good at being other basses. They do a near dead on Fender P, a decent J, and a passable Stingray.

It's only a little different. You've pretty much heard what they can do if you've heard those basses. But there's so much more than just those 3 sounds.

But I might be biased about how good they are. I'm on my honeymoon, as it were. :D
  3. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Which G&L you talking bout? there are many models that G&L has to offer.. the SB-1 is more of a "P Bass" bass. L1500, L2000, L2500 have the MM-style PIckups in there.

The L2000 is an awesome axe.. has 2 MM-style pickups and comes with 3 switches. You can get almost ANY tone out of it.. You can probably find them for about $500-800 used if you look carefully..

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    To the best of my knowledge, the bassist from Silverchair has always used an L-2000, so that would be a good source to hear one in a band setting. I know one was used on thier second album, but I'm pretty sure it was an L-2000 on the first record, too.
  5. Thanks bud :D
  6. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Though it's nice of G&L to put up some audio clips, I don't think they do the bass justice at all. They sound thin for one, and 'thin' is one thing the L-2000 definitely is not. The other thing is, the guy who recorded the clips seems way to slap happy, and although the G&L excels in that territory, I think it sounds best with a some fingerstyle going.

Just my .02 on the sound clips, I wouldn't let them be the judge on whether the sound of an L-2000 appeals to you or not.
  7. KAC

Oct 9, 2002
    I agree about the soundclips. The L-2500 or 2000 soundclips sound nothing like mine does with everything up full. There is so much more meat & punch than is represented.
  8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    L2000s and L2500s are like swiss army knives. There are so many different sounds that you can get out of them.
  9. I was going to say...there's not enough bottom end for $1,200 :D
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The guy from silverchair has used G&L's but he also uses Precisions, one of which has been modified with EMG active pickups. For their latest album he wanted to use a standard precision originally but decided on a G&L with Passive pickups for the comparitively higher output signal.

He shops at my favourite store and I got a bit ( not too much) of info out of the owner.