G&L's ugly?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    anyone else totally turned off by the look of G&L's??

They are just flat out ugly IMHO. :bag:
  2. You are so reported......well.....maybe not. But I have to disagree I really like the body shapes. Except for the ASAT bass. That I'm not too nuts about.
  3. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I haven't been able to put my finger on what exactly I don't like about them......but there is something on them that doesn't look quite right to me.

I've come to this conclusion after seeing all the ones up for sale over on the pit.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The only problem I have with them is just the headstock.
  5. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I don't like G&L's or Laklands. They just look like unwieldy blobs of gross to me.
  6. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    I disagree. I have a L2K, ASAT and JB2 and think all of them are awesome looking. Beauty is a very peronal thing.
  7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Finally someone has the guts to say it. I like Fenders. I like Musicmans... I've never liked the looks of G&L's.
  8. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    I don't really care for Laklands or G&Ls either. They look like any generic bass to me. Squire kind of killed the Fender designs for me.

(The G&L 5-string heads look kind of goofy to me... 4-string heads arnt bad though.)
  9. What exactly is so vastly different looking from Fender or Musicman? My G&Ls just look like extra nice Fenders to me.

For example....

Attached Files:

10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're very hit or miss to me. I love L-2000's. But some just scream for pickguards, especially the JB-2's. I'd love an old SB-1 though.

11. That's okay.... more good tone for me, and less for you. :D
  12. Lakland yes are funky looking, the neck looks off center to me. G&L's are as sexy as any P or J bass I say. Sometimes G&Ls use funky colors and looks, maybe thats it.
  13. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Add me to the "like G&Ls, dislike Laklands" crew. I like the boxiness of most G&L shapes which gives them their Fender vibe. I also think their pickups look pretty damn cool.

The asymetrical body design and the funny oval bridge of the standard Lakland models look off to me, no matter how pretty the maple top they've glued to the body wood. I saw a Lakland with a pickguard once which magically fixed most issues I have with the Lakland shape, though.
  14. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The look of the G&L is very... functional, but in a very classy way.
    I personally love it. The headstocks are unique.

The bass certainly is an oldschool vibe imo. As far as Laklands go, they are great too. They don't have great bridges for my tastes though.
  15. Everyone has their own preferences, so thanks for your honesty. It is interesting, however, that every band I've played for has never failed to compliment me on the "best looking bass they've ever seen."

I agree ;)

16. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I haven't looked at them seriously in years, but at one time I was thinking of buying one based on the tone and playability, but I could not find any color or finish that I liked. Their clear and natural finish basses all had a strange color to them, and the painted ones were ugly.
  17. I love everything about them except for the way the pickups look- I don't really dig the tabbed look of the screw parts. That's what brings them down for me. Other than that, absolutely lovely. It's really quite a picky little thing. I feel bad for it.
  18. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I prefer the G&L look over the Line 6 Variax Bass.
  19. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I like the G&L looks, but the headstocks get clunky looking on the 5 strings. Sucks like that, but I have a Tribute L-2500 on the way so I guess I can accept it.

Since it's being discussed, the Lakland turns me right of too. The body looks mismatched across the neck and the oval bridge just seems goofy.