1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&Ls with thin necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KickingBass, Dec 5, 2017.

1. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Hey all, it’s been a while. I was playing a G&L for a while at church that belongs to the worship leader and I had mixed feelings about it. It’s a Tribute M2500 I believe. It sounds incredible, very thick, yet it sounds good in the mix at church. However I’ve always had issues with its playability. The neck is very thick front to back for me and stops me from playing very fast. The bass is also pretty heavy. It doesn’t help that the worship leader, who also plays it often, likes to keep the action very high and the strings are pretty stiff (and old). The question is, are there G&L 5 string basses with those MFD pups that have jazz style necks? I have a Sire M7 that has great playability and sound but that MFD sound is really something. Thanks!

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    For USA models the two options are...
    1 ¾” Medium C 5 1 ¾” nut width, generous edge roll, medium taper from 0.820” at 1st fret to 0.940” at 12th fret. Starts out just like the 4-string 1 ¾” medium C and fans out to a wider heel. These specs were part of the #10 neck. For 5-string basses only.
    ORDER CODE: 10NK

Modern C 5 Exclusive to the Kiloton 5 and JB-5. 1.775" nut width, generous edge roll, medium taper from 0.810" at 1st fret to 0.910" at 12th fret.

I don't believe the Tributes have neck options.

lakefx and KickingBass like this.
  3. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Would you choose this option by ordering from a G&L dealer?

4. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    I have two G&Ls, both 4 strings and I love the necks. I don't own one of their 5 strings, but my memory is that the Tribute I played felt REALLY thick.

KickingBass likes this.
  5. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    This. G&L don't have many neck options for 5 strings. With the 4 strings, vintage necks tend to be on the thin side so you could just get an older bass. I have an '82 L-1000 that has a really thin neck.

Another option is to find a bass you like the feel of and buy a couple MFD pickups to install. It would probably require some routing, but the circuit diagrams and preamp are all available from G&L.

KickingBass likes this.
  6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I don't normally even play 5 string. I'd try to find a store with an L2500 and a Kiloton and try them out. First thing is to try out a properly set up G&L. Strings and proper neck adjustments will have more to do with playability than the size of the neck in my experience.