G*****r help needed: Epiphone SG Melodymaker kit

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Stealth, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Two days ago I got this puppy from a friend for free because he got it for free and didn't know what to do with it. Yeah, it's that odd, tiny thing with spidersilk for strings. :p

(pics are clickable)

Here's the deal, the body is apparently plywood (at least judging from the cross-section):
    th_gtr016.jpg

And these are the two areas that worry me:
    th_gtr002.jpg th_gtr003.jpg th_gtr009.jpg th_gtr010.jpg

The first is the neck pocket. Due to the fact it's a bolt-on and the neck pickup was supposed to be there by default, the neck is somewhat thinned out. Do you think that, with a proper neck plate and well-clamped bolts through the neck and body, it could hold together? Is there any way I can secure the neck further while still keeping the pickup cavity functional? The neck-side bolts will hold, that much I know, but how should I keep the pickup-cavity side bolts from slipping?

The other is the electronics compartment. It looks as if a layer of the plywood is missing, but it doesn't appear to have any cracks further towards the top. Does it look okay to anyone else?

2. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Anyone? Please? :help:

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    That looks fine to me. I have fixed up some Epi EB-O's that were plywood and they looked just like that. Put it together and rock it, they are built like tanks. IMO the plywood ones sound better then the mahogany ones.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's fairly normal for that kind of neck pocket. I wouldn't worry about it. Mosrite guitars were made the same way.

They probably yanked out a layer of plywood while routing the control compartment. The cracks are probably just in the one ply.

I had a plywood Hondo II P bass 30 years ago, and that was actually a pretty nice sounding bass. Theres noting wrong with using ply wood per se, it's just looked down upon, even in furniture making.

5. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Thank you both for the input. I'll just use shorter bolts on the pickup facing side and put something nonconductive over them so the pickup magnets don't accidentally get in contact with them.

The plywood layer difference in the el. compartment looks like it's two, three millimeters tops, so that should only be the one layer. I'll get the caliper again and measure it properly on a few hours.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021