Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G. Rossini - Une Larme pour Bass

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Joe Taylor, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I've been looking around for G. Rossini's Une Larme pour Bass do any of you know the publisher for the sheet music.

Joe

2. Shlomobaruch

Shlomobaruch

Dec 31, 2002
    Boise, ID
    Well, Lemur Music has it listed as part of a collection "Bunya 5 small pieces for Double Bass & Piano". It's currently out of stock. Item number is listed as HOF03, not sure who the actual publisher/distributor is. I can't find it anywhere else though, and that isn't good.

Inspired by the McTier recording? Sometimes I wish these performers would list where they got their editions for those of us who can't find them for love or money. Especially when they go in their vaults and play beautiful pieces that haven't been published in 20 years and won't be published anytime soon. Oh to be back in college with the entire libraries of every campus in the greater Cleveland area at my disposal...

3. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    HOF 03 is back in stock I got an email that it was right after I made the post.

that is such a nice little number I suprised that it is not everwhere.

I got a recording of Rossini's 6 string sonatas and Une Larme was on disk one as a filler.

Joe

4. Baron von Basso

Baron von Basso

Nov 3, 2002
    Stefano Sciascia recorded it on his "Elegia" CD and I feel that it blows any other recording out of the water. I wrote to him about it and he sent me a copy of the music since I couldn't find it. I can't remember the publisher at the moment. Despite what many of the recordings say, it is NOT an original bass piece. I have heard from somebody that has researched bass pieces like mad and "Une Larme" is from a collection called "Sins of Old Age" or something like that and was oringinally for cello. I played it in a masterclass for Gary Karr and his suggestions was to play it up an octave to help get the bass line out of the murkiness of the piano chords. It sounds nice up there, but I keep going back to the rich, dark sound of the lower register. I have experiemented with switching octaves for the repeat etc but don't have a set plan yet.

Congrats on finding the piece. It is popping up more and more these days for good reason. Find the Sciascia recording but pass up on Badilla's on that memorial recording 2 CD set.

5. Anyone ever play the Rossini "Duetto" for bass and cello? The cello gets most of the juicy stuff, but there's plenty in there to keep the bass player busy. It's fun to play -- there's a lot of humor in it -- plus there's a beautiful bel canto cello solo that could just as easily be played by the bass.

6. Dondi

Dondi

May 3, 2003
    NYC
    That piece is a little gem.
    It has, on a small scale, the essence of Rossini's personality, humor, and flourishes of bravado.
    I don't know if its available, but there was a nice recording on Phillips with Rodney Slatford in around 1980. It was such a beautifully recorded album.
    If you can get a cellist to play it with you, the audience loves the piece. Its full of good vibes. You will hear applause that you never knew a bass piece could inspire.