1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

g# standard string gauge

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ProgSean, Mar 23, 2013.

1. ProgSean

ProgSean

Jan 7, 2012
    I have a 6 string fretless bass, 34/35" scale, that I want to tune down to G# standard (G# C# F# B E A) for my prog band.
    So just two semi tones above your standard F# tuning, but I'm unsure of the string gauge, I've seen people say a .135 will do, and others say that a 166. Is needed. Anyone able to help me out? And also explain how and why the string gauges are what they are?

2. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    OK... Just to be sure I have it right, your LOWEST tone string is G# and your treble is A? i.e. the "standard" Low B is dropped to G# (3 semitones) and the "standard" High C is dropped to A (3 semitones)

3. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    Thats quite the drop.

4. ProgSean

ProgSean

Jan 7, 2012
    Yeah, 3 semi tone drop, I'm testing it out on my 6 before I get my 7 fretless built, don't want to spend a lot on strings being shipped (getting extended range bass strings in the uk sucks!) to find out they are too loose or too tight

5. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Got it. OK... If you use a .135 as low G#, it will feel like plucking an Earthworm with a Cannoli! A .145 will produce around 41lbs. of tension when tuned down to C and you probably want to keep the tension around 38 - 44 lbs on a Sixer so even .145 at G# will not work well. Definitely go around .160 - 166 on the bottom. Also... check out Circle K Strings. They make strings and sets with lows down to .185 AND they have a Tension Guide on their site which will help get you in the ballpark for each string's gauge.