Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G string break at the bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by White_Knuckles, Oct 6, 2004.

1. White_Knuckles

White_Knuckles

Oct 6, 2004
    I have a problem breaking G strings at the bridge. I'm using Ernie Ball Hybrids where the G is medium. It's on a Fender P bass with the stock bridge. The saddle is not grooved or have any visible burr.

Is there a better string for funk and slap where I may be pulling too hard or is the bridge suspect? My friend swears it's the nickle saddle and micro grooves are wearing into the string. He has a Badass bridge and believes it would cure my breaking problem. I can go through 2-3 G strings a month changing the set monthly.

Help brothers, I don't want to put a Badass on as it will leave marks in the finish from its footprint if I ever go back. It's an early 70's and probably has some value stock.

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Try some stainless steel strings like LaBella HRS (Hard Rockin' Steel) or DR Hi-Beams (Very flexible), both are very strong being all steel and can be bought for under 25 a set. I would think they'd dominate (soundwise) those hybrid's if you're playing funk. Give us an update later on!

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I'd try flipping the saddle over to see if that fixes the problem. That is the good thing with those bridges, I did that to all of my saddles when they showed a little wear. Twice the life.