G string breaks at bridge

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by White_Knuckles, Oct 6, 2004.

1. White_Knuckles

Oct 6, 2004
    I have a problem breaking G strings at the bridge. I'm using Ernie Ball Hybrids where the G is medium. It's on a Fender P bass with the stock bridge. The saddle is not grooved or have any visible burr.

Is there a better string for funk and slap where I may be pulling too hard or is the bridge suspect? My friend swears it's the nickle saddle and micro grooves are wearing into the string. He has a Badass bridge and believes it would cure my breaking problem. I can go through 2-3 G strings a month changing the set monthly.
  2. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    i had my G and D break a few times... i thinks its probably just from slapping and pulling so much.. it just takes its toll. BUT to break your strings a few times a month...you may just riffing on it too hard, but maybe not. have you tried lighter strings? they are less tense. i have been playing for close to 8 years.. i have only broke maybe 3-4 strings. and i do play alot of marcus style slap.
  3. WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    Try going with a heavier gauge.
  4. I had the same problem about a year and a half ago. I was popping it too hard. It just takes a little bit of pressure to get a correct pop. I was pulling on the string too hard resulting in quite a few broken strings. Since I cleaned up my technique, no more breakage.
  5. get a lead pencil and scrape some graphite over/onto the saddle and in the nut....this helps, i read it in an interview with brian setzer, and my guitarists have done the same thing since i told them now they break half as many strings