1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G string breaks at bridge

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by White_Knuckles, Oct 6, 2004.

1. White_Knuckles

White_Knuckles

Oct 6, 2004
    I have a problem breaking G strings at the bridge. I'm using Ernie Ball Hybrids where the G is medium. It's on a Fender P bass with the stock bridge. The saddle is not grooved or have any visible burr.

Is there a better string for funk and slap where I may be pulling too hard or is the bridge suspect? My friend swears it's the nickle saddle and micro grooves are wearing into the string. He has a Badass bridge and believes it would cure my breaking problem. I can go through 2-3 G strings a month changing the set monthly.

2. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    i had my G and D break a few times... i thinks its probably just from slapping and pulling so much.. it just takes its toll. BUT to break your strings a few times a month...you may just riffing on it too hard, but maybe not. have you tried lighter strings? they are less tense. i have been playing for close to 8 years.. i have only broke maybe 3-4 strings. and i do play alot of marcus style slap.

3. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    Try going with a heavier gauge.

4. I had the same problem about a year and a half ago. I was popping it too hard. It just takes a little bit of pressure to get a correct pop. I was pulling on the string too hard resulting in quite a few broken strings. Since I cleaned up my technique, no more breakage.

5. get a lead pencil and scrape some graphite over/onto the saddle and in the nut....this helps, i read it in an interview with brian setzer, and my guitarists have done the same thing since i told them now they break half as many strings