1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G String Buzz, frets 4,5,6 only - specific cause ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pfschim, Sep 18, 2010.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I have searched through the forums and found a number of posts, but not quite what I'm after.

4 String Fender Jazz style bass (Lull MV4) TI Superalloy Strings (045 - 105). It buzzes pretty bad on the G string on frets 4, 5 and 6, but nowhere else.

It does have pretty low action, but the rest of the strings, and the rest of the frets on the G string don't buzz at all.

The nut looks fine, and I have raised the saddle on the G a bit, but to no avail. The neck looks pretty straight, with a slight bow (as it should). It was set up by Mike Lull about 18 months ago and I have used the same gauge of strings consistently.

The threads here would suggest a high, or possibly low fret on the G string above or below the buzzing frets - OR - possibly too much backbow (not enough relief).

Aside from the obvious answer; to take it to a good bass tech, is there something else I should be looking for, or trying to do ?

Also, can anyone recommend a good reliable bass tech in the Bay Area (East Bay would be best). I could send it back to Mike, but I'd rather keep it local.

Thanks

2. standupbassman

standupbassman

Jul 7, 2009
    your 6th or 7th fret is too hight. There's a chance that the fret popped up a little bit. If that's the case, you can take 2 thin pieces of wood and a clamp and push it back in. If it hasn't (you can tell just by looking if it has) then you'll need to get your frets dressed. Pics would help.

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    send a PM to Benjimen Strange.

4. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the replies. Have been out of town for a few days R&R in the Sierras.

standupbassman I'll check the 6th or 7th frets as you suggest. What kind of pictures would help reveal this issue ?

pacojas why ? is Benjamin a bass tech, or does he know some in the Bay Area

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Some even in east bay.

6. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ha, sorry, I missed your sig.

I'm sure there are good techs around, I am just not familiar with any locally, and I have found it is risky to choose a bass tech without any reference. I have had soem hellaciously bad work done to some of my basses over the years. I used to have a guy out here in Liver-town, but he got in a motorcycle accident a few years ago and has not reopened his repair business. I sent this particular bass back to Mike Lull's shop for some work about 18-24 months ago, but that's not too practical to do regularly. I also have had good work done out of Gelb in Redwood City, but that too is not always practical due to the distance.

look for a PM

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021