1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

G string buzzing on 7-12 frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by staggybitosoup, Dec 29, 2016.

1. staggybitosoup

staggybitosoup

Dec 29, 2016
    As title says, I'm having trouble with fret buzz. It's a new Ibanez SR300 4 string bass.

New strings. Nut seems to be perfectly cut. Neck Relief measures about .03" (I hold string down at first fret and where the neck joins the body, in this case the 19th fret, checking at the 8th fret.) Action on the bass side about 3mm, Treble side at about 2.5mm, middle at about 2.75mm.

The ONLY spots that buzz are 7-12 on the G string and I'm not sure how to correct it. Definitely not bridge height. Have tried raising it way higher than is comfortable and there's still buzzing at those exact spots. Going lower adds buzz to other spots. I would adjust the neck relief every which way but that's obviously not as safe to adjust as saddles and not as repairable if damaged. Plus I don't wanna mess up what I've got with the other strings not buzzing.

It's not a TERRIBLE buzz, like if I play gently I can keep it under control but everywhere else on the fretboard I can pluck pretty hard with no buzz.

2. I know it is a new bass, but might there be a problem with the neck? Maybe it has a bit if twist to it?
    If possible go try some other of the same type and see what they do.
    If you bought it in a B&M store take it back and see what they can do for you.
    If purchased on line, contact the seller.
    If it us under warranty you should be able to get it fixed or replaced.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    The nut only affects (playability) the first (two or three) frets.

Without knowing the string heights it is difficult to diagnose. But, as a general rule, the relief should be closer to .012" give or take and allowing for factory fretwork.

Loosen the truss rod. Adjust the saddles to your preferred height. Play. Repeat as necessary.

4. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Sounds like fret 13 or 14 is high. Do you lose the buzz when you get above 12th fret? As a general rule, a high fret is the first one that plays clean after a few in a row that buzz. If you have a decent straight edge of some kind, you can usually find the offending high fret. The straight edge doesn't have to be super long, just long enough to span across three or more frets.

staggybitosoup and Gluvhand like this.
  5. staggybitosoup

staggybitosoup

Dec 29, 2016
    May have hit the nail on the head with this one. Grabbed a straight edge and checked along the G string's path and going along 9-10-11, and 12-13-14, it has the tiniest bit of rock on it, so 10 and 13 must be a bit high, which explains why buzz would happen 7-12.

Thanks for the tip, I may try a few more things to see if that's the only thing causing it. I don't think the neck is twisted at all. Seems perfect.

Thank you all!

6. Good. I like the high fret theory better than the twisted neck theory anyway.
    Guess we both learned something today. Good luck.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021