1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G String issues! Need help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thebassbuilder, Mar 25, 2013.

1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I built this bass years ago and it has had this issue the hole time. I had even posted in here before under G String Buzz but now I do not think it is the frets. I just went through and re-leveled the frets again and it did not help much and that is when I really noticed something. I hope this makes since but the G string sounds out of tune when played open. It gets that wow wow sound but it is only one string being played. When I first noticed this I thought I may have hit the D string as well and was getting that in my ears when tunning. So I made sure I mutted all other strings and it still does it. Has anyone had something like this happen to them? Not real sure where to start. Could the nut angle not be correct and it is causing this or the break angle at the bridge not enough? It still has the string buzz around the 9th-13th frets but I think there is something else going on here.

Also not real sure this could cause it but the neck is thin but I used the large U channel trus rod from Stew Mac for this reason. I am wondering if the neck could be flexing when played and cause this? The trus rod holds the neck alignment just fine as far as I can tell. If this helps, I have my neck relief set to the 6th fret clearence just enough so a business card will slid smoothly between the bottom of the string and the 6th fret, when fretting the 1st and 15th frets.

I hope someone can help with this becuase it drives me crazy to have such a great sounding and playing bass (minus G string issues).

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I'm no expert, but I'd start with the simple things:

- Try a different G string.

- Try a different bridge saddle - maybe swap saddles between the G and D, for instance.

- Try a different bridge, if you have one available.

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    As a test, try loosening the truss rod to put a little more relief into the neck. Then raise up the action on the G string a bit higher. That should make the problem go away, right? Usually, a funny Wowwow ringing is caused by the string lightly brushing on a fret right at some harmonic point. Most likely, your neck is a little too flat under the G string. It may be that you need to file a bit of relief into the frets, just under the G string.

If increasing the relief doesn't solve it then, like Todd suggests, it may be a bad string or a badly cut notch on the bridge saddle. A quick test of that is to "jack" the string up on a piece of wire like a paper clip. Slip the wire between the string and the saddle to lift the string out of the groove and give it a fresh witness point. That will tell you if it's the saddle groove causing the problem, or something in the string itself.

4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I'd start with the nut, then the saddle/bridge.

5. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    Thank you everyone! I will try these but if anyone else can think of anything more please let me know.

6. crazygtr

crazygtr

Mar 4, 2011
    Puerto Rico
    Check for pickup height on the treble side, a too close pickup can produce some "wolf tones"

7. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    Someone in another forum said the same thing. I will try this because I did have an issue when slapping on the E string hitting the neck pup.