1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G string not quite aligned ... is it an issue? Should I correct it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by almadillo, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Hi.

Changed my strings for the very first time this past weekend. Had the bass for close to 2 years now and thought it was time.

It's a Fender Jazz. I did not look to see where the strings laid on the bridge grooves ... looking now it seems the G-string is on the left groove and not quite centered on the pickups and is a bit off on the fretboard (closer to the middle of the fretboard as compared to the E-string).

strings_pickup & bridge.jpg

strings_fretboard.jpg

So ... is this an issue and I should move the string to a different groove? Or just leave it as is?
    I've never really liked the sound of the G-string ... it has always been a bit twangy to my ears but I assumed it was my playing. Sounds better now with the new strings though.

Any advice or comments is appreciated.

Cheers!
    Alan

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Honestly, I would keep it right where it is. Technically, each string should be equal distance from the others. But; measurement should be made from center of the string. Yours look pretty good "by Eye" which is how I do it.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Close your eyes. Play your bass for a few minutes.
    Do you hear or feel a problem with that string?
    The answer to that question is the answer to your question.

4. He saddles of your bridge have multiple grooves in them so that you can adjust string spacing to your needs. Some people like the strings closer together, some like them further apart.
    From the photo you posted, looks like your strings are all in different grooves of the saddles. If your needs are to have everything lined up and dead-on, then move each string to the center groove of its saddle. This will ensure they are all equidistant from each other and centered over the pickup pole-pieces.
    Note: the pole pieces have a very wide area of magnetism, being 1-2mm off center will not augment the sound.

Ghastly likes this.
  5. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    It's only an issue if it plays bad and sounds crappy.

If it plays well and sounds good, then what's the issue?

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    It only takes a second to move it to another groove in the saddle. Maybe just move it and see if you think it matters.?

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    All depends on your spacing preference. Per the pic, you should hang a sign reading "room for rent". If mine, I'd re-position the E & G closer to the cliff then space the D & A accordingly.

Riis

8. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I'd say it's a non-issue. Unless it is an issue.

9. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    If you move the d and g over one slot, that is as close to equal spacing as you can get. A ruler with 1/32" will confirm. You may like it as is but note that the a-d spacing is currently slightly smaller that the e-a and d-g space. By about the width of one saddle slot. :D Imo its a question of how it feels more than anything else.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021