1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G STRING OF BLACK BEAUTIES KEEPS SLIPPING OUT OF TUNER

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by clmjlg, Apr 10, 2009.

1. clmjlg

clmjlg

Feb 8, 2008
    Well the title says it all, as soon I begin to tune the g string it just starts to slip out of the tuner untile it just pops out. This is the second set i have bought and the second time it has done it, i thought it was a freak thing the first time.
    So anyone know why this happens only on the g string, and if so can it be fixed. I have to order these strings and i need them by sunday so i have to order new ones today if no one knows.

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Be sure and insert the end of the sting in the hole of the tuner,then tune to pitch. I usually add an extra wrap around the post on the G string because of the extra tension.

3. clmjlg

clmjlg

Feb 8, 2008
    i am inserting the string as far in the tuner hole as it can go, like i said the other three string worked fine. Its only the g string. i have plenty of string to wrap around it.

4. Please post a pic, it would be helpful.

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Here's how I do it:
    (1) Insert the end of the string into the tuner and give it a good 90° bend
    (2) Wrap the string once around the tuning post manually going OVER (on top of) the string coming out of the tuner
    (3) Use the string winder to wind the string the rest of the way, going UNDER the string this time, using your other hand to keep as much tension as possible on the string above the nut

Never had a string slip out using this method. Good luck.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    100% exactly what I was going to say. A bass tech taught me that about 15 years ago and it has worked well for me.

7. clmjlg

clmjlg

Feb 8, 2008
    Thanks for the ideas so far, just its noted this is not my first time putting strings on i have been playing for 5 years. I tried wrapping it over the string coming out of the tuner but as soon as i pull on it to put tension it just slipps out.

armybass likes this.
  8. clmjlg

clmjlg

Feb 8, 2008
    well i have no idea how to explain it, but i did the exact same thing three times to try to get the string to work and it did. I know i probably sound like a noob, but i cant expalin the sudden luck. So thanks for the help i will deffinetly use your technique for stringing from now on Monetbass. Thanks for all the help.