G string problem...NO JOKES!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rafterman, May 9, 2001.

1. for some reason, my G string (NO IMMATURE JOKES!) makes a really sharp, trebly sound...i know it is supposed to make a higher sound...but it kinda sounds too high...is it because they are new strings (D'Addario)...i use an SR-506...or is it my EQ...i boost the treble and bass all the way on my bass and adjust the bass, mids, and treble on my amp...is there something wrong with my EQ or string?
  2. is the gauge smaller than your last set?
    can you adjust the pickup height?

how many dollar bills can it hold?:D

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    For quite a while, I was pretty much a three-string bass player. I avoided the G for the reason you mention. I have found a few things that seem to help. One thing that helps a lot is playing fingerstyle. I never could get a deep sound out of the G playing pickstyle. I also tend to dig in a little more on the D and G, which seems to help. Finding the guage that suits you and your bass will help, too. My Fender likes a .045 or .050 G. My Washburn can get by with .040 or .045, but likes a lighter E than the Fender.

I have also found that the less I spend on strings, the more uneven they are from string to string. It seems like with cheap strings, either the E or G sounds funny. I currently have Dean Markley Blue Steels on my Precision, and DR Lo-Riders on the Washburn, and both are really, really, good. If you like D'Addario's, you might try Slowounds. They seem to be popular here.

I would repeat, however, that the G on every bass I've played seems more sensitive to technique than the lower-pitched strings.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Is this you're first set of high quality roundwound, stainless steel strings? When they're new, the have a very bright, metallic, "zing" that wears off after you get some substantial finger time on them.
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hmmm... I don't line up the ball ends at the bridge, but I do try to make sure that I don't twist the strings when I'm stringing. I have loosened weird sounding strings so that they can rotate freely, and then tightened them, making sure that no twist occurs (i.e. lateral torque) and that has helped on occasion.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No, for heaven's sake, "immature jokes" would not be apropriate for such a "serious" topic. I wouldn't think of saying, "A sharp G string can make you sing with a high-pitched voice."
  7. I have that same issue with my Daddario slowounds.

I wouldn't call it a problem, because the sound isn't bad, just different from teh others.
  8. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    By any chance is the G-string, 'sitting' on the frets?
    I had this problem today, but I got fixed.
    Try turning up the bridge - I'm not sure what I'm talking about here so.. heh