G-String Problems ... (that sounds very rude; sorry)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mlbarlow, Jul 1, 2005.

1. mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Okay, I've got a '96 Hamer Cruise 2Tek 5-string, and it has played wonderfully with the exception of this recent glitch. I get an odd buzz on my open G, and I feel like I've tried everything to remedy it - truss adjustment, sadle adjustment, etc. I restrung it with flats (I'm loving the sound) and it's slightly better, but no cigar. It actually helps considerably if I apply pressure behind the nut, which would indicate to me that I need (sorry) one of those hold-the-string-closer-to-the-headstock-thingys similar to the one that restrains my A and D. Agree/Disagree? How would I go about finding one of those and is there anything it need to know before installing? My local guitar shop told me they didn't have any.

2. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    That thing is called a string tree. You might also try winding your thong er I mean G string more turns on the peg. Get it lower to the headstock to apply more downward pressure. Also perhaps you need a new nut. I suggest bone or graphite.
  3. That is an ever-so-slight vibration coming from the fact that there isn't enough down force on the string as it goes over the nut. Your solution of adding a string retainer is right and should easily fix the problem.
  4. mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    I'll do that ... thanks. I'd forgotten to mention that I'd already tried winding the string various ways to no avail. I look forward to putting on a string tree or string retainer (new vocabulary words!).
  5. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
  6. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    you may have a buzzing truss rod, thats what my G-string does, only my bass is $90 new......