G string slipping off Musicman SR5 fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by remo, Apr 1, 2005.

1. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I just took delivery of my brand new SR5 bass (I’m a lucky boy)... I'm loving the tone but have noticed the G string sits precariously close to the bottom of the fret board (where the frets taper off).. I have once or twice made the G slip off the fret board which is annoying. I sighted the neck and it looks like the G slot in the nut could be a touch closer to the D string slot which would pull the G away from the edge. Has anyone else had this problem and how was it solved?
  2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Its a common thing on SR5s. You cant solve it and be happy with the string spacing at the same time. You must re define your left hand tech to avoid that, and if you do so, in the end you will be a better bass player.
  3. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    I had this probblem too. Its true that after a while you unconsciously compensate with your left hand and its no longer a problem. Enjoy your SR5.
  4. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have the same problem with my sr5. I’m learning to live with it and I thought it was just me.
  5. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    so you mean I'm stuck with it like that??? thats ****house! any slight virbato on the G and "clank" off she pops. Looking at the nut I'd definitly say there is some room for movement as the string spacing between the D and the G is greater than all the other strings.
  6. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Odd, on my '89 Ray it's fine. The nut seems to be kinda shoddy (doesn't look original) though. It is a common problem on most Ray5s though.
  7. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Had the same problem with my Stingray 5-it's gone now. You can get used to it. For me, it was an issue because I play a different make fretless as well-I was constantly re-adjusting technique.
  8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    do the vibrato upwards, against the d string. I know its hard
  9. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Its crazy that such a great instrument has such a pointless flaw. They should have known about it and fixed it. I'm going to get a new nut cut for it, I'll let you all know how it goes.
  10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    i have that problem on my btb, when i do pull-offs. :oops:
  11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    There's one at LDS right now with the same problem. How does any factory let that get delivered? Thats like an auto plant shipping a car with three wheels! I bet GM 's done that more then once!!!!
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's not a defect. It is a matter of the design being incompatible with some players technique.
  13. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I have this same problem with my carvin XB75. It is annoying! Especially when I'm in the middle of a run and "wrrring!"
  14. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, they appear to be designed that way. Every SR5 I've owned was that way. And I never liked it on any of them...so I sold them all! ;) I would also agree that technique can be adapted to them. I just didn't want to. Great sounding bass, though. Hard to beat for slap.
  15. It seems like reslotting the nut would only partially relieve this, since the bridge saddle is fixed as far as spacing goes. On the upper frets, you would still have this issue.

My SR5 had the same problem. :meh:
  16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Had same problem, with my SR-5.
    New nut will fix problem.
    To me this is big problem from a bass that costs good
    If Musicman only would go to 19mm. spacing?
  17. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Yep, I sold my SR5 because of this. This was despite that fact that I adjusted my left hand technique to compensate. I came to the conclusion that although the 'Stingray 5' has tone in bucketloads there are certain basses that were designed and made their names (with good reason) as being 4 stringers only. I include Fenders in this reasoning. I decided that if I wanted to play a five stringer it was better to get a bass that was designed for this purpose rather than being a tried, tested 4 stringer which was modified. The SR5 whilst having the Stingray pickup is not a Stingray in its classic sense, its a Sterling with a five string neck.
  18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I sometimes pop the g out of my 4 string Ray. It's really only a technique problem for me, maybe it's differen't on the 5's.
  19. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    You could always get the Sterling. Same tone as the SR5 only one less string. If you must have a 5 and a Musicman, did you check out the Bongo. I think they have better spacing.
  20. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    if only that last sentence was true... :rollno: