1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

g string sounds like a harpsichord...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TydidezDiomedez, Mar 24, 2006.

1. TydidezDiomedez

TydidezDiomedez

Feb 27, 2006
    The g string on my spector rebop dlx 4 sounds like a harpsichord ... That's the only way I can describe it. When I pluck it (open or fretted), the sound is sort of an oddly metallic, high pitched noise. There is a hint of this sound on the d string but it's not nearly as bad.

I'm new to bass and was wondering - do all spectors sound like this? Is there something wrong with my set up? What's the deal?

Thanks

2. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    my spector doesn't, i precribe a 15$ setup at the local music store and call me in the morning.

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    It's probably a bad string and not the bass. You might also have twisted the string on accident, and that might cause it.

4. TydidezDiomedez

TydidezDiomedez

Feb 27, 2006
    Thanks for the advise mothmonsterman. I'll probably end up getting it set up or have it looked at or something - did you recomend a setup because you suspect something in particular? BTW, don't ever interupt me while I'm trying to watch "Assisted-living Dracula" ever again.

I'm guessing that twisting the string would've happened when I was installing it? I'll have to be more careful...

edit: If it's not a bad string, what else could it be?

Thanks

5. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Bad string....loose outer windings.

6. hi there all,
    i work in a music store and have seen this alot, mostly on acoustic guitars, it is usually caused by the string not making good contact with either the bridge or saddle, when changing strings be sure to press down on the string just in front of the saddle to ensure good contact, if that doesn't fix it change out the string it's bad..