1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G string to match Corelli Forte set for pizz?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by peri75, Jul 28, 2012.

1. peri75

peri75

Sep 26, 2009
    Athens , Greece
    Hey,

First of all I play pizz 90% of the time (jazz) so this is a pizz question! ;)
    I've been using the Corelli Forte set for the last 4 months or so. Overall I like it very much, it seems to suit my bass very well. The lower tension of the strings as well as the smaller gauges make this a very playable set.

I've been using the Pirastro Jazzer G string from my previous set of strings along with the Corelli E,A and D. The Corelli G was too thin sounding for pizz and the gauge was uncomfortable (too thin, "cutting" through finger when digging in).

The Jazzer string is ok, but I would like something with a bigger gauge. I was thinking maybe a string that would be more or less like the Corelli D as far as gauge and tension.

Any ideas? My string height is 5-8.5 mm from G to E.

Thanks!

2. Zyex medium G.

3. Original Flexocor or Original Flat-chrome. (both Pirastro's)

4. peri75

peri75

Sep 26, 2009
    Athens , Greece
    I don't know about the Flexocor. From the specs it looks very similar to the Jazzer G I'm using. As for the Zyex,why do you think medium would be better than light? Looks like the light G is about the same tension and gauge as the Corelli D (which sounds ideal). Have you tried it and did not like it? The medium Zyex G is heavier in tension than the Corelli E string...I dont know.. :confused:

5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    For what it's worth, the Original Flat Chrome G string is my favorite pairing with Jazzers E-D. Tension is a perfect match, it doesn't feel too thin to me and sounds beautiful with my setup. Let's bright than the Jazzer, but plenty of clarity pizz'ed.

I haven't used these Corellis, but maybe the comparison to Jazzers help.

6. peri75

peri75

Sep 26, 2009
    Athens , Greece
    The corellis have alot less tension than the jazzers. So i dont think the flexocor G would mix very well with the corellis. I'm tempted to try the Zyex light G, anyone has any feedback on that string?Thanx!

By the way,the jazzers are well worth their money in my opinion. The corellis suit my hands and my bass more though.Except that tiny G string!