G string to short

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by plsh, Jun 27, 2004.

1. plsh

Jun 27, 2004

I'm new here and new to basses. I've been playing guitar for a feww years and just recently got into bass( I'm becoming hopelessly hooked).
    Anyway I have an OLP mm3 five string it has a 34" scale.
    I recently bought a set of Rotosound swing 66(664ld 45-130) these are labeled long scale. So when I went to install all went fine until I got to the G string which is to short. The spot where it tapers down (the red) sits in the nut and of course the red area is larger than the nut slot.
    Therfore I put my old G back on because I'm afraid I'll do damage to the nut. Have any of you ever come across this problem? Do I need a different (longer) set next time or do you think I just got a mispackaged set? Is it possible to buy an individual G from rotosound or will I have to get an Earnie ball or something?

Thanks for any help
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If its a 5 string, it could be a 35" scale, in which case you would need extra long strings usually.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, having your g-string too short sounds painful to me.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  5. Same here...seems odd how it won't fit...maybe the pack got a short scale G string mixed into it on accident? Doesn't sound like that could be true, but hey, stuff like that DOES happen.