1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G string to short

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by plsh, Jun 27, 2004.

1. plsh

plsh

Jun 27, 2004
    usa
    Hi,

I'm new here and new to basses. I've been playing guitar for a feww years and just recently got into bass( I'm becoming hopelessly hooked).
    Anyway I have an OLP mm3 five string it has a 34" scale.
    I recently bought a set of Rotosound swing 66(664ld 45-130) these are labeled long scale. So when I went to install all went fine until I got to the G string which is to short. The spot where it tapers down (the red) sits in the nut and of course the red area is larger than the nut slot.
    Therfore I put my old G back on because I'm afraid I'll do damage to the nut. Have any of you ever come across this problem? Do I need a different (longer) set next time or do you think I just got a mispackaged set? Is it possible to buy an individual G from rotosound or will I have to get an Earnie ball or something?

Thanks for any help

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If its a 5 string, it could be a 35" scale, in which case you would need extra long strings usually.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, having your g-string too short sounds painful to me.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  5. Same here...seems odd how it won't fit...maybe the pack got a short scale G string mixed into it on accident? Doesn't sound like that could be true, but hey, stuff like that DOES happen.