Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G string tone

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fretbuzz, Jan 10, 2003.

1. i have a standard jazz bass and it seems like i cant get a very good tone from my G string, it sounds too tinny and weak to me. ive tried fender and ghs strings and made many adjustments to see if i can improve it. i like to play Rush alot and i dont even come close to Geddys growling G string tone. i dont use effects and have various fender tube and solid state amps. im tempted to try rotosound strings next. anyone else found this 'problem' with their sound or am i off base? (btw i use .105 guage) thanks

2. Can't help directly but I've a near identical problem with my Bass Collection.

There are likely to be a number of reasons for it. I had TI Jazz rounds on it. Brilliant strings but they just don't seem to suit the BC.

I fitted a set of stock Yamaha strings (ripped from my RBX) and the sound is very much improved. The G is much less tinny.

John.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Different strings may well be the answer - another thought would be whether the tone you're thinking about definitely comes from Geddy's G string :)eek: yes - I know that could sound dodgy but I trusting you all to act like grown ups here ;) )...

Is it possible that the passages you're thinking about are played higher up on the D string instead? Might be worth a try, assuming that they are still playable elsewhere on the neck.

Wulf

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was thinking that Geddy's G string being tight, might explain his high-pitched, "strangled" vocals!! ;)

5. It may not be a string issue specifically, but a combination of the frequency response of your bass, its pickups and your rig settings.

I have a standard Jazz 5 string, and I usually play it through a Sadowsky outboard DI preamp and a compressor (I use an FMR RNC1773). I love the solid growl the G produces in this configuration. I use DR "Marcus Miller" fatbeams.

You might try to raise the pickups (particularly the neck pickup) at the G string position.

Another thing to try is using a compressor. Sometimes the "tinny" tone you perceive may be due to the output difference between strings based upon your rig settings and pickup response. The compressor will help even out these differences.

Cheers
    Bob

6. dont make fun of geddy, my dog finally got used to him

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Here's something I gleaned from my daily dose of The Bottom Line mailing list:
    Did you ever have a good tone out of the G string? How does it compare when you play the bass unplugged? The above information suggests to me that it could just be a quirk in the character of your bass. If that is the case, you can either work out a way to make the most of its tone or look for a new bass (or both).

Wulf