1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G string twang

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 20, 2001.

1. I use d'adadario slowounds, and don't have experience with any others, so I don't know if it's string related, but my g string sounds bad, very bad when I turn up the trebbles (I like the trebbles high). I can play on my d string higher up and it sounds great, but the g sounds nasty.
    Does anyone know what could be the culprit? Should I try different brands/gauges of string?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Maybe. Different basses seem to like different strings. I haven't tried Slowounds, but I'm aware of the "twangy g string syndrome." I found Ernie Ball Slinkys to work well on my P, and Blue Steels also have given me a consistent sound across the fretboard.

Some basses also don't have an even sound from string to string. I have a cheap Washburn bass that tends to have less bass response on the D and G. You can overcome a lot of this with technique.

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Playing high on a thicker gauge string always gives notes that have a "fuller" tone - this is why the same notes on the D string sounds better than on the G. This is also why solos done on a piccolo bass sounds better than solos on a guitar even though they have the same octave (in my opinion).

Try a thicker gauge for your G string to see if it helps.

The other thing is if you turn up the treble, you will get a lot of fingernoise and "brightness" on the G compared to the D string too. You can either turn down the treble, or improve your fingerpicking and left-hand technique to minimize this.

But again, I am no expert. Others will have better ideas I am sure...