G string twang

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 20, 2001.

1. I use d'adadario slowounds, and don't have experience with any others, so I don't know if it's string related, but my g string sounds bad, very bad when I turn up the trebbles (I like the trebbles high). I can play on my d string higher up and it sounds great, but the g sounds nasty.
    Does anyone know what could be the culprit? Should I try different brands/gauges of string?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Maybe. Different basses seem to like different strings. I haven't tried Slowounds, but I'm aware of the "twangy g string syndrome." I found Ernie Ball Slinkys to work well on my P, and Blue Steels also have given me a consistent sound across the fretboard.

Some basses also don't have an even sound from string to string. I have a cheap Washburn bass that tends to have less bass response on the D and G. You can overcome a lot of this with technique.
  3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Playing high on a thicker gauge string always gives notes that have a "fuller" tone - this is why the same notes on the D string sounds better than on the G. This is also why solos done on a piccolo bass sounds better than solos on a guitar even though they have the same octave (in my opinion).

Try a thicker gauge for your G string to see if it helps.

The other thing is if you turn up the treble, you will get a lot of fingernoise and "brightness" on the G compared to the D string too. You can either turn down the treble, or improve your fingerpicking and left-hand technique to minimize this.

But again, I am no expert. Others will have better ideas I am sure...