G-string unwinding itself....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Sounds nice, huh! (_?_) ...:eek:
    Fact is that it's my new Slowound g-string that I can't tune to pitch, because the tension just pulls it out of the tuningpost. I've made sure there was three winding onto the post, but it doesn't help. I'm trying to get the set replaced, but does anybody have experience with this? Is it because of a bad string, or is it because I've installed it wrong (first time in 15+ years then!)? The unwinding doesn't happen with other strings, so I'm pretty shure it's not the tuningpost.

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    One suggestion: re-set the string in the tuning post so it comes out the other edge; that is, take the string off, turn the tuning peg 180 degrees, and then put the string back in.

Maybe one edge of your tuning peg's slot is too rounded to get a good grip?

Only a guess... :meh:
  3. Thanks Eli. I went and tried it, but it doesn't work. I've now stuck a little piece of string into the tuningpeg, and the let the windings go over and under it. Seems to work. I still hope to get the set/string replaced. Funny thing is I remember it happen to another slowound g-string. But that one had been on an off a lot of times, while this one is brand new. I think maybe the windings of the outer wrap has become loose. What are the other symptons of an unraveling outer wrap?
  4. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    If the string is hangin out the side of the peg, ya might want to cut the string to a good length, bend it so theres a bit pointing down, and stick that in the hole in the middle of the peg. That will hold the string and prevent it from slipping. that is basically the purpose of the peg being designed that way rather than like a guitar peg. Hope that helps.
  5. That's the way I use to do it, and it's that way it slips out. So I've inserted another 2" piece of string into the peg too. Then I did the windings over and under that piece. A little hard to describe.
    Thanks anyway :)