Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G string very thin sounding

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by no-logic, Oct 27, 2005.

1. I have a Schecter C-4 that I like. It was stock when I bought it and noticed that the G string is very twangy and brittle sounding anywhere on the neck. (Not buzzing....setup is fine.)The other 3 are nice and thick and full sounding. I thought it might be the stock EMG's, which I didn't really like much anyway, so I put in some Basslines SSB-4's. It sounds much better but I still have that brittle sounding G. I have changed strings and even went to a thicker string (.045 to .050) thinking that might help. It did a little but not much. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and what I might be able to do to get the G to sound better? Could it be the EQ? Why just on that string? Any help? :help:

2. Does the G sound brittle and twangy accoustically aswell? or just when amplified?

3. Just amplified.

4. I tend to have your sort of problem on my ESP F204, which has a neck very similar to yours but in a 35" scale. I usually thought my problem was the extra scale length and tension it brings with it, but much of this was cured by getting a good adjustment on the pickups and messing with EQ settings.
    Also, by running one of those cheap Behringer BDI21 preamp boxes, the tube sound has really thickened up the G..

P'up height and blend can have ALOT to do with this. For instance, your bridge pup is the one that is gonna give you a seriously thin sound on the G, but the neck pup will be thicker and warmer. Depending on which pup you favor the most, this could be the cause. Sometimes adjusting the bridge pup down at the G, and raising the neck pup at the G side can help.. Just some thoughts..

Mag...

5. Thanks. I'll mess with the pickup adjustment and see what happens. I have them both higher on the treble side to try and bring out the high strings....maybe they are too high. And you're right. If I drop the bridge pup down that might help because I do have that one in the sound mix.