Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G strings and F basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Jun 20, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I've played maybe twenty F basses in my life. About five or six of them have sounded a little thin on the G string. It's not exactly "dead", it just sounds like the G is a little less emphatic than the other strings. Has anyone else had this experience? What (if anything) have you done about it? Is there a trick during setup, or is this due to the pickup(s), or the preamp, or what's going on?

2. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

did you make sure they were in correctly? it might be your pickups got a bit weaker?? i'm not sure.

hehehehehehehe G-String hehehehhehehe

oh sorry lol

3. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The strings are not the issue. It happens with "various" types of strings, including LaBella's, D'Addario's, Smith's, and MTD's. All brand new, and with several packages of each type. It's definitely the bass (or something in it/on it, like the pickups, or the electronics). If I just listen to these basses "acoustically", without an amp, they sound okay. Although, that would be "relatively speaking", 'cause the difference can be a little subtle sometimes. How about that Hipshot bridge, any words of wisdom on that?

4. Are you talking about 5-strings? In my experience it is usually the 35" (or longer) scale length on 5-strings that causes this problem. The longer scale length does wonders for the B-string, but can be a big problem for D- en G- strings.
    I'm not sure if F basses have the longer scale length? Anyway, could be the cause of the thin sounding G-string.

R.

5. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Interesting. I haven't heard that before. Yes, these are BN5's that I'm talking about. Although, I had this issue with my Studio 6 too, and what happened is that I finally had to shave down one of the edges of the saddle to get it to behave correctly. I think that may have been a different problem though, on that one the string really was "dead". The scale length on these basses is 34.5". Very comfortable. You know, the more I think about this the more I'm thinking it may have something to do with the bridge. I may try to get a replacement saddle and see what happens. Has no one else had this experience with their F bass G string?

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Can you raise your pickup towards the g string w/o getting into problems?

7. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, yeah, but that would probably increase the D and A a little too. It's hard to tell, it might be the pickups, but it might be the bridge too. I'm going to try moving the saddle to various angles to see what happens. Sometimes that can influence the way a string sounds. I'm not sure what all the physics are, but some of those saddles are cut different ways and sometimes you have to get the string to sit just right.

8. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    have you asked George at all about the problem?

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    While this could be a factor, realise that changing the saddle will effect your intonation. You might try going to a heavier gauge on just the g...

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've owned two Fbasses, one reverse-headstock design, and the other was the standard headstock. I remember having issues with my G string volume on my older Fbass that had the standard headstock especially when it was tapped. It almost sounded muted on certain notes. My current reverse-headstock model does not have any problems whatsoever.

11. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Aha! Just as I thought, it was the saddle. These Hipshot bridges can be a little idiosyncratic sometimes. On this one, the saddle for the G string was cut at a slightly odd angle. With the result that, when the saddle was sitting straight, the string slot wasn't (straight). Adjusting the angle of the saddle so the string slot is straight (relative to the others) solves the problem. Monkey me.... y'learn somethin' new every day. :)

This is one of the newer model BN5's with the reversed tuners. They're really nice basses when they're dialed in, the string balance and consistency is a lot better than on the older models. The B string is nice and fat, and sounds more even tempered (relative to the E) than the one on the older model did. Anyway, problem solved. Thanks for all the input folks!

Edit: this bass currently has a set of MTD strings on it. They sound really interesting on an F bass, especially once they get worn in a little.

12. The MTD's sound very good, great B string also, but they feel a little tough and rough on the fingers.. If they can work that out, they will have developed some great bass strings

R.

13. gabro4

gabro4

Mar 28, 2003
    Happy for you. :hyper:
    That would be a pity that a F bass doesn't work well!! :smug: