Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G**tar Crybaby for Bass??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Jun 19, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    What's your guess whether a Dunlop guitar wah Crybaby will work on bass? I'm looking at one with a variety of mods: true bypass mod, "vocal" mod, "torres 5 position switch" mod (warm to bright positions) and a hot potz mod (100K ohm Hot Potz potentiometer).

Dunlop did make what they called a "bass wah" with a 100K ohm Hot Potz potentiometer that was supposed to allow getting down into bass frequencies. Is it likely if this wah I'm looking at has the
    100K ohm Hot Potz potentiometer, that it will work for bass?

2. Don't buy the bass wah. There are a number of accounts (including mine!) where some pots or something in the circutry breaks, and the effect is lost...

3. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I already have the "Q" bass wah and it has performed fine for the last 2 years. I really like it. It captures a full range of wah without the bottom end dropping out.

I was just wondering about this particular modded guitar wah, though.

4. Guitar will only work past the 12th fret on the d and g strings. I've tried. (Otherwsie kinda pointless, just sucks tone.)

5. Ive owned the 105Q bass wah for like 3 years and its been wonderful to me

6. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    right now i'm playing with a guitar crybaby, sucks all the tone. I don't think the mod to the pot could change much, it's more the value of some specific capacitors that effect the sweep of the wah effect.

7. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    The one I'm looking at has the true bypass mod - that change your opinion at all?

8. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I think he means true bypass when the wah is IN use. As in when you use the wah it completely sucks the hell out of your tone and makes it sound like ****. At least that's what I think Matteran means.

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    isnt a wah generally gonna replace whatever tone ur bass has with filtered sound anyway?

10. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Yes, but its gonna do a worse job than a dedicated bass wah like a 105Q :p

11. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    agreed.

12. A long while ago I had a Vox 847 that had the set of "bass mods" done to it... but it never really did it for me. It still kind of felt like a guitar pedal...

13. I've been looking for a good, multi-purpose wah for a while. Aside from my bb-405, I have a dano 12/baritone double-neck and a ric 650 sierra so I was hunting for something with a wide range so I wouldn't have to get 2 wah's. I use the dano-double to test, since the baritone goes low B and the 12 is as high as you can get, especially with the bridge lipstick pup iso's.

I tried the crybaby and found it ok on the 12 but nadda on the baritone. Same with the vox. Then I tried out a Morley Pro II and I was hooked. Great wah on both the 12 and baritone plus it is a volume pedal with what they call "distortion".

I brought it to my studio and tried it out with the bb and ric and, lo and behold, super-sweet mult-purpose wah! I'm an anti-noise freak and was suprised to find it a dead quiet pedal.

It's interesting to note that this is the first volume pedal I've used that DOES NOT suck tone and the sweep goes from full on to full off. Others I've tested don't give you a full range. I tested it and the volume full on is identical to the signal straight out of my guitar. It's not true bypass, in that without power it won't work, but they way they implemented it should fool any "true bypass nut" [a crowd I include myself one of].

The distortion isn't as good as my dedicated pedals for the ric or dano but is actually quite nice on the bass. I prefer a bass distortion to dirty-up a signal, not overwhelm it, and this does the job just great IMHO. Best of all, if you crank the gain all the way down you can use it as a clean-booster - again with no noise introduced into the signal. In combination with my other pedals, it adds that extra drive to really push em.

Apparently it doesn't use a pot but some sort of optical sensing device, so it doesn't suffer from scratchy pot syndrome. This probably accounts for the fullness of the sweep and cleanliness of the signal.

And they're only about $100 - gread deal for an all purpose wah with volume and clean boost thrown in. Check it out.

14. godraphonic

godraphonic

Jun 6, 2005
    I have two older GCB-95 cry babies, and want to do some mods on them. Both of them have have circuits that are not the same as shown on the wah wah mod UK site.

Does anyone have a book mark with a photo of these earlier boards labeled with what caps and resistors are what? I want to do the 'bass mod" (change .01 auf to .68-.1 auf,) but there are two .01 auf caps in these pedals, how do i tell which is which?

THe older of my two cry babies has no power jack (82-88?) the other has a 1/8" style tip + jack. All of the site I have found by google have pictures of the newer boards. I actually have access to another GCB-95, and it also has the 1/8 mini plug and yet another variation of the PCB board, so I'm a little confused.