g**tar question about feedback and using it to my advantage

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    i want to buy a guitar to record songs. my friends played his guitar through my ampeg 2x10/tweeter combo, and it sounded sweet. it was really heavy and awsome. anyways, if i get a guitar it will only be to play squealing feedbackesque guitar. ala albini. how do guitarists do this? do i need a mic, or something? i've also been contimplating buying a 2x12 guitar combo to use to compliment the 2x10, and to distort the highs in. so i imagine that'd sound good. but that's not really on the topic. oh well.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Make sure you wear ear plugs!!!!! If you can hear me!!!!!!
  3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN

but on topic (in off topic...?) i played my g**tarists Fat Strat thru my ampeg/hartke rig and it killed! it sounded so nice and fat, it just rocked! i imagine it would kinda suck for distortion, but i dunno.
  4. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    yeah, distortion sucks through tweeters. that's why i want the 2x12, and just like fuzz it out with a big muff. that kills the bottom already, so i wouldn't have to worry about the guitar combo flabbin' out. it'd sound real thick, i think. that's why i want to try it out.

Okay, now what's a 2x12 with super strong speakers so I can rock out with feedback? For cheap? I might consider downgrading to a loud 1x12, if I have to. Any? I've got like $500 to spend. or would feedbacking through the speakers i'm distorting not be wise?
  5. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    can I incorporate feedbacking into my bass playing? because i'm really a feedback nut. i like the way it sounds. but i don't know alot about it. could i get a squealy bulldozer hum esque low-end feedback? or is that something wierd i've made up? cough.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Oddly enough, I use feedback to hold notes at the closing of songs(while the guitarists and drummer tangent off in an overindulgent explosion of notes and closing phrases 'whew!'). Influenced by the Guitar Great Fred "Sonic" Smith of the MC5. Just listen to "Kick Out the Jams!" to get an idea or two how he does it.

Me, I just get the note I want, set the neck to the cabinet, open the volume and treble knob on the bass, and "let it grow". Quite fun at times.