1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G**tar riffs on the bass, something better than the Russian Muff?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tired_Thumb, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Well, in anticipation of getting a guitar, I started learning picking techniques and applying them to bass. However, I realized that I could easily pull a post-thrash type rhythm "guitar" sound (think Meshuggah or current Aghora) with proper palm muting and the way I have the bass tuned, E-C, and hopefully will record some new samples some songs I'd come up with previously that never quite saw the light of day. That said, is there anything well, more articulate than the Big Muff? It's the common issues every g***arist seems to have with the Muff, but is there something like the Boss Metal Zone that would help?

Dumb question, but please have patience with my n00b head. Thanks! Also, I searched but didn't come up with any specific answer to this question.

2. yeah, metal zone.
    I've nevered heard any pedal that sounded closer like distortion guitar.

3. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Rat pedals work pretty well, I'm kinda fond of the guv'nor as well, but the rat will completly take out all lows.

4. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Metal zone, Rat or the Boss Hm2 will get you there... among onthers.

5. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

A starting point, that's what I needed. Thanks!

6. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Pretty much anything that is labeled as a distortion would work. Fuzz tends to get muddy on anything (depending on your settings of course). The boss HM should do fine, but if you want to just experment withouth breaking the $$$ flow (which I dislike doing). I would suggest trying one of those Danelectro FAB pedals. They may not be the best in the world, but it'll give you an idea if you can pull off what you are looking for and whether or not to pursue that with a better/more expensive pedal.

7. anything besides the big muff by EH... the sound that comes from that pedal is so light

8. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Wrong. I use a Proco Rat as disto and it doesn't suck my lows.

MT2 by Boss is and awfull tone sucker, perfect for guitar heavy disto sounds.