1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wanted *G* Thomastic Spirocore Mittel G 3/4 or 1/2 size

Discussion in 'Wanted: Double Basses, Amps, & Accessories' started by rickwolff, Dec 22, 2015.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff ..Gear & Tone Junkie.. My Ignorance is Bliss. Supporting Member

I'm just missing the G for my new little 1/2 size bass. I have S42 strings on the D A and E and they work fine. You may txt me if you have a G you'd sell me. 919-538-7778 Rick Wolff

Don Kasper likes this.
  2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Rick,
    Plan B?:
    I have a Spiro Weich G that I'd be willing to donate, if you're not able to find a Mittel.
    This was on for about 1 year. It's in pretty good shape.
    Does this make me an "enabler"?
    photo(116).JPG

3. rickwolff

rickwolff ..Gear & Tone Junkie.. My Ignorance is Bliss. Supporting Member

Don, Thank you! I've never tried the Weich and would like to. I'll PM you my address. And I'd be happy to make a contribution to your ongoing string fund in appreciation for the donation.

As an aside, in rumaging and stealing strings from my other basses I took the Spiro Mit E off my 7/8 carved Shen and replaced it with a used Helicore Hybrid Light. Eureka! I found I actually prefer it! (the HHL). It still has that nice sustain I prefer but is a little 'richer' and less metallic sounding than the Spiro. Plus, of course, it blends perfectly with the HHL on the A, and the two of those sound fine with the Zyex med G and D. Who woulda' thunk? as my dad used to say. I'm so happy with the sound of that 'Big' bass that I think it's time for a little amateur recording studio time. My pianist friend who I work with a lot has a nice Schimmel and I'm sure I could get some nice recordings with my Zoom 4 channel.

It really is amazing what a HUGE difference strings make. DUH. On both my ply basses - a Shen 3/4 and my new 'little guy' they really come alive with the Spiros. On the carved bass, using the D'addarios instead of the Spiros lets me hear more of the bass and less of the string.

Thanks, again, for your generosity and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours,

Rick

Don Kasper likes this.