G2 strings... beta test

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Im a sock, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Who else is doing this beta test? I got my strings today in the mail. So far I'm kind of having mixed feelings... they are very very bright. They feel nice though, and I have a feeling the brightness will go away in some time.

Any other thoughts?
  2. I got mine today. They seem a little quiet to me. I'll have to wait until I get up to my practice space to really here them. I like the way they feel so far. We shall see...
  3. Got mine today too. Quite a diary eh?
    I'm gigging Fri and Sat. so I'll give 'em a good road test fo' sho'
    The guage is a bit differnt I usually have an 85 and 105 . I found it odd that they went from 45, 65, 80, 100, so I'll probably have to intonate the damn thing.
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Still waiting for mine...and I live about
    7 miles from where they are being sent ! Go figure...

5. Yeah, I had to intonate mine when I put them on. They weren't too bad, just a little out. It should be interesting to see what everybody's reaction is to these since I'm sure most of us are in different types of bands with different styles and we're all trying the same set of strings at the same time.
  6. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Still waiting on mine, probably be here today. I wish they would get here, i really need to change strings before my gig tonight.
  7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Got mine yesterday, got 'em on today. I like 'em so far. For those of you gigging, I'd like to see some responces. :)
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Got mine today, they had the wrong zip code. I just spent 1/2 hour with my current set, I'm gonna string it up after I post this.

:rolleyes: it's a tapered B... I'll have some setup to do
  9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I got mine yesterday, too.

I'm going to a nice jam tonight, so I'm going to record my Curbow with the current set of TI Powerbass strings, and then do some more recording after I get the new strings on there and get the bass setup.

I haven't used steel strings in quite a while, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm considering putting a set of boomers that I've got sitting around on another bass to compare them to.
  10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    due to a newly discovered heart condition:rolleyes: i ahvent put mine on yet
  11. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    STILL haven't received mine.:bawl:
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Are you alright? I'm thinkin good thoughts in your direction!

I got mine on and spent about 4 hours with them.. not bad! they settled in quick and stayed there. The .130 B took a minute to adjust to.. and with stringing thru the body the taper didn't matter :)

first impression: pretty focused, subdued for SS, medium tension, nice texture to the tone. Seem even string to string... and yes, a little quiet.. I brought up my mids a hair and they woke up a bit.

I'm going to record rehearsal tomorrow to see how they cut.
  13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    well ok is a relative term... went to the doctor cause i thought i had the flu.. turns out my blood pressure was 185 over 100. x rays showed my heart is enlarged. will have to wait til wednesday to see, stress test then. more a mental thing right now, it's what they told my dad he was going to die of 6 years ago. he had 6 months to live... luckily he;s still alive. guess we'll see.:)
  14. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Got mine on Friday 6/27. My initial impression was that they weren't quite as bright as the DR Hi-Beams or the Fat beams I usually use. They also had a deeper tone to them. I had to turn down the bass to get the same tone I usually strive for. So far I like them alot. They sound like a nicely broken in set of Hi-Beams. Although they seem alittle more flexible than the Hi-Beams
  15. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    well, I still haven't gotten mine. And, they haven't returned my emails. So...If this is
    their idea of customer service they are certainly getting off on the wrong foot !
  16. Put mine on for a two nighter this past weekend (total 9 hours of playing time). The first night I hated them. Real bassy, no output on the high strings like I'm used to. Had to F around with the EQ more than I'd hoped.
    The second night however they sounded completly different. I guess they settled in or got a little broken in. The second night they actually seemed brighter and the output was more even.I was able to get close to my original EQ. Still the .045 & .065 don't seem to havre the same output that I'm used to.
    I do really like the .130 It has good definition and tone.
    Jury still out.
  17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    g2 is a marketing firm, not a bass string company... as far as I've assumed.

I'm curious who makes these strings, they're pretty nice. I've been working them hard and sweaty for 9 days now and they still sound alright. I'd been wiping my old steels down with alcohol by now.
  18. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i got mine last week.

i have a warwick proline 6 string with a ebony fretboard and maple/ebony neck and these strings are very bright and low end'ish.

it seems to me that they may be coated. some of the coating looks to be coming off on the b string or it could be some flakes of tortilla from the tacos that i was munching on when i put them on. :eek:

these thing are still very bright. they are much rougher on my hands then my DR Lowbeams. these strings are just not my sound. too much low end.

i will give them more time to break in.
  19. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I figured that they must be a marketing firm; how many string co's actually do their own test marketing ?

Still, their lack of CS skills intrigues me. Especially since they know we are discussing it on a huge forum that is read by ten's of thousands of people.