G3 (inspired) build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ctmullins, Feb 21, 2021.

1. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Breaking sawdust on a new build today!

Been wanting to do one of these for a while now. Ever since I found out about the Ripper/Grabber/G3 basses from the 70s I have wanted to build my own version of the Ripper and my own version of the G3. This won't be a clone build, but an "inspired by" build. I'll use the same basic blueprint, with the same body shape, but with my own twists, built the way I would have spec'ed it out from Gibson's Custom Shop in an alternate reality.... :)

Body woods are cherry with maple accents. Neck is maple with a cherry center stripe. Will probably do a set-neck instead of a bolt-on. Even though I have some Pau Ferro fretboards on hand, I may order a Mac Ebony one for this. I'm using up some scraps and offcuts with this one, so that's an additional win!

Because I detest plastic pickguards, this one will not have the black monstrosity that Gibson used in their cheapskate approach. I will use three Strat rail pickups, each with its own metal pickup ring. Black hardware throughout.

I absolutely love the three-pickup configuration on my 4004CTM build, so I'm doing the same here. While the original G3 had a unique pickup switching arrangement, it only had three choices; here I will be using the six-position FreeWay Switch with the same arrangement as my 4004:

FWS3.jpg

First step - The body core is a center wedge of scrap cherry, flanked by strips of leftover maple offcuts.

G3_0666.jpg

2. Cool, cool. I wanted a G3 for a long time. I had an S1 guitar with, basically, the same pickups. Never could quite justify spending the dough on the rare times one was for sale.

Reedt2000 and ctmullins like this.
  3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Oh yeah, here we go, another CT build! Stand By and Stay Sub’d!

Reedt2000 and ctmullins like this.
  4. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Ha! You guys are the best! :D

Center wedge out of the clamps and planed down to thickness. I was pleasantly surprised to see a bit of flame in the maple strips.

Top body wing glued and clamped. This is the last of the figured cherry I bought two years ago for the mashup build EUV. It’s gorgeous stuff; I should probably find some more.... :cool:

[​IMG]

5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Cool, I'm in :thumbsup:

Sub'd :cool:

ctmullins likes this.
  6. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    By the way, the WBO moved this year. Here is the big brother to this build: Winter Build-Off 2021 - Five By Five

5x5_0664.jpg

It came together pretty quickly, so I’m hoping this one will too!

7. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Lower body wing glued and clamped.

G3_0668.jpg

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I completely missed that 8 string build, I need to get out more! Must sound like the Jammer of Thor.

wraub, Beej, Freekmagnet and 2 others like this.
  9. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    :smug:

Beej and Gilmourisgod like this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I MEANT to say Hammer, but let's roll with Jammer of Thor. BTW, this is listed as the worst music video ever made, which is clearly a subject of some dispute, but I am willing to include it in my Top ten. Ah.... the 80's. His Nostrils Flare With Steam, apparently. If I had Nostril issues like that, my middle name would also be Anger.

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Love it! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity, what pickups will you be using for it?

Smart thinking to go your own way on the switching btw. The G3 had a somewhat specialized set of Bill Lawrence designed pickups that were unique to sound goals for that bass. I’m not sure how well some other pickups would work in the G3’s “buck and a half” configuration. and But I’m guessing you’d likely get more mud than tone with other pups.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  12. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Oh

My

Nordic

God

Freekmagnet, Beej and Gilmourisgod like this.
  13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Now that I dropped that steaming turd of a video into CT’s build thread, I think we can all concentrate on more important, Luthiery Related matters like.... how come the whole band is running through the woods with knives, except the Guitar player, who has his.. guitar. Is he going to Shred the Evil Doers with his incredible chops? I think I’m going to have watch all the Thor videos now to see if the bass player ever busts out an 8 string.

14. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Just - don't. There are people who can help you. It doesn't have to be this way. Reach out.

I picked up a trio of Calig rail singles for cheap a while back. Three of the S62, which claim to be AlNiCo, high output, and hum-canceled; we'll see. They sound fine in my pickup mule. If they don't work out, then I'll upgrade to a trio of Bill's L45-S, which I know will sound awesome, and will preserve a bit of the Lawrence heritage in the original G3 design.

I adore the FreeWay Switch; I have it in at least three basses and two guitars, each wired slightly differently, and they're all awesome. Such a stealth way to add real versatility to an electric instrument!

mikewalker, wraub and Gilmourisgod like this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Not familiar with Calig pickups. I’ll have to check those out next time I’m shopping. Thx for the heads up!

And wow! L45-S guitar pickups for a bass? Shades of Rickenbacker! That sounds intriguing.

FreeWay switches are definitely cool. Put one in a friend’s FrankenStrat awhile back. Opens up a huge number of switching possibilities while keeping a small footprint.

I’ve got another FreeWay switch still sitting in its bag in my parts bin. I may use it yet for a “hippy sandwich” style scratch bass build (my first in decades) that I’m gradually working my way up to. It will definitely use the ACG-01 preamp I recently bought for it. And now I’m thinking that FreeWay switch may find a home too. Still debating whether or not to use the pair of Alembic Activators I’ve been saving for something really special for it yet.

Talk about first world problems, right? :laugh:;):thumbsup:

ctmullins likes this.
  16. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Nice!

I might as well mention that this G3 build is intended to have a companion Ripper-inspired build. I don't want to derail myself, but my take on the spirit of the Ripper will involve a pair of L500 and an ACG-01.... :cool::hyper::bassist:

Beej likes this.
  17. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    O.M.G. I've seen Thor live! Like in about 1985, I was probably 14 or 15 - snuck into a metal show at People's Pub on Whyte Ave in Edmonton with my cousins. They were cheesy but it was memorable. :D

18. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Out of the clamps and roughed out.

G3_0669.jpg

Yeah, this is gonna be a good one. :cool:

19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    What do you use to cut wedge shapes, taper jig on the tablesaw? Ive seen a few builds with tapered neck lams, but they never seem to show the process. Tape or fasten long strips to a sled and run through the saw? I actually have a cheap taper jig that i dont think ive ever used.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Beej likes this.
  20. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    It’s all very sophisticated - a looong straightedge and a bearing bit....