Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G3 Tour 2004

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Oysterman, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    So this year's edition of the G3 Tour will have Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and... Robert Fripp!?... as performers. Now, I thought Eric Johnson was the odd man out when he was in (a brilliant musician but seriously lacking charisma on stage), but seeing Robert Fripp listed really puzzles me. What will he do? Is he going to have a band, or is he going to do soundscapes? If so, what will the speed-crazy Satch/Vai fans think of that? Will Fripp play "My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama" with the other two? Will he sit down with his effects during the entire act?

This I must see (hear). I come to think of one of Fripp's aphorisms, "expectation kills the moment". Well, now I don't know what to expect, which makes it all the more exciting!

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

As much as I love Joe and Vai, Fripp will make it very interesting. Fun type interesting.

The three of them have decent rythym skills so it'll probably work out fine.

3. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    that sounds pretty uninteresting to me. I thought Yngwie had the most amazing set of the last G3 tour, he was flying around on stage and spinning his guitar and constantly doing something entertaining and fun. Plus I really enjoy Yngwie's music, I don't really care much for Fripp's.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm not that big of a Robert Fripp fan. I guess if Eric Johnson can't be there, I'd like to see Steve Morse join in.

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

New horizons ...

FZ would approve ... ;)

I get bored when i play with the same tour twice. And
    we don't need to ... God, I envy those guys :bawl:

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Last time I saw G3, it was Joe, Steve and Kenny Wayne Shephard and Robert Fripp. Robert Fripp kind played as the audience was arriving. Kinda played before the show even started. It was cool.
    Also Stu Hamm did a wonderful solo.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well if you ask me, Yngwie is more or less the definition of "uninteresting". ;)

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yes, I could have imagined him doing that, but seeing as he is now one of the main events...?

9. G3? Robert *FRIPP*?

Bit like a mango icream pizza if you ask me.

Well, if the music is good...

10. I will only goto A G(put a number here) when Stu Hamm and Billy Sheehan are back on tour with them.

11. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well,, Fripp certainly has the technical skills to be with the G3 gig,, and his abstract musical ideas should add some interesting flavors to the omelette!