G5123B vs. G5442B

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mdlewis, Feb 25, 2019.

1. mdlewis

mdlewis Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    I have a Gretsch G5123B. I kinda like it. It has a very woody, hollowbody sound. Mine is strung with LaBella 760's and I have a soft foam mute stuck on the other bridge. I made two mods on it - 1) I packed foam under the pickups to make them more rigid and 2) I replaced the stock tuners with hipshot ultralights. It gets a very woody tone that shares many similarities with an upright. I play it with fingers and occasionally with a pick in a little classic country ensemble I've just joined. It's got idiosyncrasies but sounds good in this context. I think the shorter scale helps to get the characteristic attack that that I hear on uprights.

I really don't like how single cutaway basses look and at least for me, orange is not the new black. I've been attracted to the G5442B as it's a symmetrical cutaway and true short scale (30.4", maybe even more of the attack that I'm searching for?). The G5123B is 32". BUT it's a mass-market new guitar that I can't otherwise get too excited about. So I'm looking for anyone who has experience with both instruments to get me off the fence...anyone out there played both and have some feedback to share?

Here are some pics off the web...

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 8.06.26 AM.png Untitled.png

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  2. mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    I'm stunned - 46 views and nothing but *crickets*.
    I guess I found a topic that not even the diehards on this site have an opinion on.

3. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Central Virginia
    I only viewed it to see what a G5123B and G5442B were. ;)

4. mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    Yeah thought that might be the case. Added some pics. Maybe if these were P-Basses it would generate more interest.

5. I’ve been GASing for a 5123 for some time now. Love the idea of a medium scale bass.

mdlewis likes this.
  6. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a warm puppy and a great bass Supporting Member

I own both. The 5123 was made exclusively for gc and also became available later in burgundy. As time passed they also became available on Musicians Friend which is owned by GC
    The 5123 isn’t listed on Gretsch’s website. It’s a great bass considering it is one of the less expensive Electromatics

The 5442 is also a great bass and also an electromatic. It has a somewhat smaller body is short scale rather than medium scale and is also a thinner body.
    The F holes have binding unlike the 5123. It also has Blacktop Filtertrons rather than the TV jones Thundertrons which are better pups.

The 5123 doesn’t have as much bling as the 5442 but has better pups with a bigger body which I believe produces a deeper tone than the 5442.

However I feel because of body depth the 5442 is more comfortable to play

I also own 2 electrotones which are professional level Gretsch models the Thunder Jet and the 6073 which are a blast to play if you’re really looking for something better, but they’re both short scale. I’ve never played a 5440 LS yet, which they recently discontinued.

Might want to stop into the Gretsch club for more input.

The OFFICIAL "Gretsch Bass Owners Club"

@BassHappy has more info on the 5123 since it is a medium scale which is truly his passion

Gretsch "Electromatic"

Also, the 5442 also came in black with white binding which is what mine is

upload_2019-2-26_21-28-18.jpeg

@GretschWretch is one of TB’s experts on Gretsch basses especially the vintage models

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    NewJackBass, leftybass54 and mdlewis like this.
  7. mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    This is it in a nutshell. I like the tone of the 5123 but the physical attributes of the 5442. Might have to buy one and compare myself. Ugh.

B-Mac likes this.
  8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    This is not correct. The G5123B (orange or burgundy) was most definitely available through regular Fender/Gretsch dealer in Europe, including big online companies like Thomann and Session.
    I think the 5442, 5123 and 5440 all have their own vibe. Different scale, shape and hardware will appeal to different people. I have played the 5440 and own the 5123, which suits me slightly better. The 30" variant was never on my radar.

9. B-Mac

It’s correct for USA
    And the the 5123 has never showed up on Gretsch website
    Was referred to as ‘door buster special’
    @BassHappy also researched quite a bit

Was never sold as a new instrument here in the states anywhere other than Guitar Center and Musicians Friend.

10. B-Mac

Check out this link
    Gretsch "Electromatic"

11. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Well, the subject has been up before. The link is incorrect. You said it was made exclusively for GC. I would say that is also incorrect.
    However, in USA, it was SOLD through GC exclusively, it seems. Here in Sweden, I see the 5123 as often as other "regular" Gretsch models (so not very often). Below are examples from UK, Germany and France. Outside Europe, I have no idea.

Gretsch FSR G5123B Electromatic Hollowbody Bass (Orange)

Electromatic Bass Limited Edition FSR (1 of 17 made)

Gretsch G5123B Electromatic - orange orange Semi & hollow-body electric bass - Pourlesmusiciens.com

12. B-Mac

Interesting

They started selling them here in 2010

Do you recall when you started seeing them?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  13. mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    Ok, I went and bought a used 5442. It's a beautiful instrument with a very different sound to my G5123 even when wearing the same strings. Which got me to thinking - how do the black Filtertrons compare to the TV Jones Thundertrons and has anyone replaced their 5442 pickups?

14. Eon Sky

Eon Sky Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    I have no experience with either but I wanted to chime in to say I think you made the right choice. You can always change pickups to change how a bass sounds, but you can't really change how it looks. From what you've posted earlier in this thread I don't think you would have ever been truly happy with the single cutaway, despite it being one of your options.

Also, happy NBD!

15. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Maybe in 2011?

I bought my current one in 2012, but that was long after I sent back the first I had (Bought it without trying, tested it at home, sent it back. I guess that was in 2011.)

16. B-Mac

Even if you put on the same pups it will still sound different from the 5123 due to the different size body.

I also have a 6073 and a 6128.
    They all sound different.

17. mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    Never followed up on this but I ended up keeping the 5442 and selling 5123. The 5442 has been modified and wears TI's, which somewhat surprisingly, are the only flats I've been able to find that actually fit the bass properly. Tuners were changed to Hipshot Ultralights, pickups to TV Jones Thundertrons and I replaced the Tune-a-matic style bridge with an old-style roller bridge (for a more vintage-y look and a slightly deader sound).

It's a great little bass and I think I'm finally happy with it. My little classic country ensemble is starting up again after the COVID hiatus and I think it's going to see lots of use.

NewJackBass likes this.