Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gaaaaaaaah!! Fedex has kidnapped my gear!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ghindman, Feb 22, 2006.

1. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    So I bit the bullet on one of the Aguilar S210 blowouts from Musician's Friend, last week. Sold my Avatar b210 over the weekend, and have been waiting (somewhat) patiently for my new cab to slow-boat it from Kansas.

Today, I go through my workday, occasionally checking delivery status:
    8:30AM - Out for delivery

waiting
    waiting
    waiting
    waiting

2:46 Delivery Exception - Bad Address

ARGHOISDRRHQEOIWHEROWILSDHLI!!!!!:meh: :eyebrow: :confused: :eek: :eyebrow: :crying:

Call Fedex. Yes, address is correct. Yes, I can give you directions. You mean there's no radio in the truck? I have to wait until Thursday? Or maybe Friday?

No cabinet and no music make Homer something, something...

blarg

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    which avatar did you have, and what didn't you like about it?

also, please post a review of this cab when you get it. my only concerns on these cabs is their super-low power handling for a two-speaker design (250w).

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have seen some nasty travels of packages that go via FedEx.

I don't know about when you pay for overnight, but a regular package often has completely bogus tracking info posted for it.

I have had packages where they estimated a delivery date, and up until the date, it remained that way, then when the delivery date came, they just removed the delivery date, not substituting an updated one.

4. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    Yeah, the lower power rating is due to the smaller magnets, but my 350watt Avatar should match it quite nicely.

I had the Avatar Delta B210. My biggest problem with it was that it just goes to mush below ~60hz, so no b-string, and no SWR subwave below open-A. For straight 4-string, no issues at all. I thought I'd blown the tweeter, so I was looking for another cabinet rather than band-aiding a cab that wasn't the best fit for me in the first place.

5. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Sorry to hear of your dilemma. I too ordered 2 Aggie 410's which have not arrived. Sold 2 Avatar cabs, and a Kustom. Question: In MF's e-mail they mention the tracking #'s but never gave them. How did you get your's? Thanks much.

6. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    You should have received two emails from MF - an order confirmation, and a shipping confirmation. The tracking numbers are in the shipping confirmation, near the top. They may be either UPS, or FedEx numbers - they don't tell you which, and link to both.

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had a delta 210 that seemed to work fine for 5 string, but currently I have their NEO 210 that I like MUCH better. I really think the Avatar NEOs, using the Deltalites, are the best cabs they make.

8. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Yes - Shipping confirmation, no tracking, just the order #. I've checked it 10 times. We'll both have to be patient...

9. That's rough man. Patience can be touch when you're waiting for a new piece of gear.

A similar thing happened to me while awaiting an Aguilar AG 500. On the first attempt the driver came at noon on a Thursday and left a door tag. "Delivery Exeption" because no one was home. So I called FedEx to see if I could pick it up, but the representative said drivers return the following day for a second attempt. So I made sure I was home all day on Friday. No delivery. Check the Web at 6PM Friday. "5:45PM Delivery Exception," customer not home! I still have no idea what happened, because I was home all day and at the front of the house at 5:45. Like you I hoped to get in touch with the driver somehow, but the c.s. rep. said there's no way for them to contact the truck drivers.

I prepared myself to wait the weekend. Luckily it arrived Saturday morning right before a band rehearsal.:hyper:

Enjoy the cab once you receive it. I have an S 410, and it's great.

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    One other thing with FedEx.

If you are ok with having something left at your door, you Can leave a note on the door with your signature, and they'll accept that. I have done it many times now.

11. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    I can give everyone an inside view of FedEx operations; I have been a driver for almost 7 years. Its the same system everywhere, but I can only speak about our station. First of all, if the package has a commit date- thats a FedEx commit and not a MF committ- the package HAS to be delivered/attempted that day or **** hits the fan big time. These things (wrong day lates) cannot be hidden from management. Also, if a driver scans a pkg saying he did attempt delivery and he infact did not, he is terminated. I've seen it happen to two drivers here in the past 18 months. On the other hand, we are loaded down with many many stops each and every day, and expected to bust some ass and make productivity goals set out by engineers who set at desks all day. In my case, I make 80+ stops a day over a 50 mile area. We look at each package as a stop, not by what's in it. Unless it says "medical emergency" on it, they are all treated equal. We dont see whats inside, or really care. Sometimes, due to the many different commit times on packages, we cannot turn back and try to deliver something again due to a wrong address...we just have too much to do. However, the FedEx station CAN contact a driver during the day...unless there in a very rural area. All you need to do is call the 1800 number to get things rolling. Also, unless the driver is out until closing, you can pick up your package as soon as he returns to the building. Or, you can call the number and request for the package to be held at the station for you to pick up. It's these options that really separate us from the brown guys. Its been a pain in the ass the few times Ive tried to get a package held for me at the brown office, or tried to pick it up after an attempt. We deal with less overall volume (its all air shipments), which seems to make it easier I guess. Finally, FedEx started a new residential release program that allows us to leave all shipments that aren't specifically marked as signature required by the shipper. Sorry for the long winded reply, but I know a little about the whole process. I may be biased, but I wouldnt ship any guitar or fragile equipment any other way besides FedEx Express. And no, Im not in sales or even own any company stock. Im just a lowly delivery driver who daydreams about music all day!

12. Thank you. That is really interesting. Despite my bitching earlier I really do like FedEx and prefer it for shipping musical equipment, especially since the local drop station turned me onto the affordable ground service.

During the delivery I described earlier a FedEx rep. at the 800 number told me she could not contact the driver and that it was necessary for a human being to sign for the package. The regular FedEx driver is a family friend and he knows that we get guitars and equipment at the house, but for some reason this particular shipment was with a contract driver(? according to FedEx service). Also I have no proof that the driver did not stop at my house that evening, but she definitely didn't ring my doorbell let alone park in front of the house.

13. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    +1 from a 5 1/2 year courier. GO JXNA!!!!

14. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    It might be the contract driver. They may be from another company hired to deliver it. We used to use them sometimes, but we stopped about 3 years ago. Now, I think it would have to be in an emergency or something. They probably didnt even try to deliver it. A regular driver WANTS to get rid of all packages. We dont want to reattempt anything from the previous day. Thats just another stop added to our new pile of packages the following day. The less stops, the earlier we get to go home! (and in my case, play my Ric!)

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Cool. My wife's been with the company for 20 years. I was a courier myself for a couple of years too. We're very rural here, and I did maybe 30-40 stops a day over a pretty wide area. I did a lot of big bulk pickups though.

An awful lot of the complaints on Talkbass are about FedEx Ground though. There was a really big difference in service levels out here for the first couple of years after FedEx bought into the ground game. The delivery committments here are still kind of lax at this point, but most of us understand why that's so out in the boonies. Contractors are still a big part of the landscape here as well.

16. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I've recieved packages from USPS, DHL, UPS, and airborne at my current address no problem, then I bought something from a seller than only ships Fedex... teh result? Delivery Exception, could not locate address. 3 days i na row, so they shipped it bac kto sender, and the sender included my cell number so the driver could call me for directions. Whenever i have a choice, I'm choosing un-Fedex. I know I'm an isolated incident and maybe the fact that I'm on a one way street made it 'inconvenient' for the driver to figure out how to get onto my street, but my choice isnt to stick it to Fedex, per se. Just the driver(s) that cover my street.

17. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    Was it the newer front slot-ported model? I had the older rear-port - it never performed well at any volume with my Stingray 5.

18. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I've had similar problems with fedex that others in this thread have had, not only that, but it was also with an avatar cab. I bought it like 2 weeks before christmas, expecting it at least before I left on my vacation (the 23rd). The 23rd comes rolling by, and no cab. I was expecting it at my work (we have people there 24hours a day, so no biggy there). I go on vacation, the whole time waiting to come home and have it waiting on my doorstep(not literally, but whatever). I get home on the 26th, and nothing. So I check the tracking, and it says that they have been trying to deliver it. Keep in mind my work is fairly small, only two very small parking lots where there are entrances, both of which would have been acceptable to drop off the package. So I call them, and tell them that they must have the wrong address or soemthing, so we have a chat yadda yadda yadda. The next day, still no cab. I call them again explaining that they muyst be half retarded not to be able to find the place. The next day the same thing happens, call them up, blah blah blah. I got it the next day. It wasn't too big of a deal, but seriously, the guy definantly didn't even come to the building, because one of the many workers would have seen him, or better yet got the package from him.

19. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Fedex air - no problems. They find my house fine.

Fedex ground - several times stated they couldn't find my house. I live 10 minutes from one of their distribution centers. When I call to complain they will do a late night drop off.

20. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I had some computer parts shipped from CA to Lincoln,NE. Parts went from CA to Kansas City then to Omaha, NE (Just 50 miles down the road from Lincoln!!) to KENTUCKY and to Lincoln. ???

FedEx has some weird schedules.

And the best part is that it was 2 packages (shipped together) and one came straight from Omaha to Lincoln without the KY scenic route.