1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gadget Geeks, this is our thread!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by syciprider, Apr 8, 2006.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    List your geeky gear and what you do.

With me everyday are my

laptop

cell phone

4G iPod (for the car and office)

iPod Nano (for the gym)

Palm PDA (recently upgraded to a Lifedrive)

I've looked at the PDA/mp3/phone crossovers like the Treo but they simply don't do it for me. No Graffiti, can't write while talking, limited space etc. etc.

My profession: I'm a cook in the Navy.:smug:

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    [​IMG]
    This is similar to mine, minus the book.

3. I have a SPARC workstation running freebsd 6, my laptop runs slackware linux and my other desktop also runs slackware.

I have a USB battery charger to keep my AAA batteries charged, and a USB coffee cup heater to keep my coffee warm :)

Also, I don't believe anyone owning an iPod can be considered a geek. A TRUE geek's music player wouldn't play anything with DRM and would be able to play both OGGs and FLACs. True geeks carry an iRiver for this reason :)

[EDIT] Forgot to mention, I have a lava lamp :)

4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I have a Linux desktop under my desk that is constantly cranking out a plasma simulation code.

5. Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? :)

6. Pandora.com has pretty much eliminated my need for an iPod and iTunes at the office.

7. WOW! I just went on this website! This is awesome! Thanks for mentioning it!

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, I think I'm going to be pretty much worthless for the rest of the afternoon.

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    D-SLR camera

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Man, I don't know where to start with my gadgets, I am certifiably hooked on gadgets and all kinds of stuff.

[​IMG]
    Homebrew beer keging system, also used to make seltzer for daily use.

[​IMG]
    500GB firewire/usb drive for keeping all my image files online (I have 2 and they're nearly full)

[​IMG]
    Serial ATA Removeable drive system used for storing all of my archives, I load it up with 400GB SATA drives and store everything on both, when their full I swap them out for new ones and the full ones go on the shelf. (I'm up to 8 pairs of backups...)

[​IMG]
    80GB USB portable drive (no power supply needed!!!) I've got 2 of these also and use them to keep the files I'm currently working on with me AND stored in my office, just in case...

(Here's a bunch for kserg... My latest block of gadgets:bassist: )
    B0007KQR0A.09.LZZZZZZZ. Nikon D2x
    [​IMG]10.5mm fisheye
    nikon1224. 12-24mm zoom
    NK2870AFSU. 28-70 2.8 (DAMN sharp lens)
    afs70200. 70-200 2.8 Vibration Reduction
    B00015GYU4.02.LZZZZZZZ. SB-800(3 of them)
    [​IMG]Quantum Turbo(3 of these too)
    [​IMG](2 of these)[​IMG](& 2 of these)
    [​IMG]Giga Vue(this thing is COOL!!!)
    [​IMG]CD/DVD Duplicator/Printer
    big image, but it's worth it, this thing ROCKS!!!!

I'm sure I'll come up with more eventually...:hyper:

11. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Well, a desktop computer is any personal computer that is too big to be considered a laptop, so no. But yes, you're right that it sounds like it would be a contradiction.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Nice, I am thinking about Canon but Olympus just came out with something I might want... the new e-330, you can actually point and shoot that camera... You can find your picture on the LCD screen before you take it... that’s kind of cool... But I don't know if I want to sacrifice quality of lenses for comfort.