1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Gagnon 7/8 Size Bass

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by mhjazzbass, Sep 16, 2002.

1. mhjazzbass

Mar 28, 2002
    I have a bass made by Romeo Gabute circa 1996 for the Gagnon company. It is a 7/8 Guarnerius design with narrow sloping shoulders and wide lower bout. Wood is calantas throughout (native to New Zealand), with a thick, highly polished ebony fingerboard and figured ebony tailpeice. Tuners are heavy brass, andthe endpin is the one from Cincinatti Bass Cellars that features a removable tip and wheel that attaches to the pin so that it doesn't have to be removed. This bass has a very clear, round sound, and projects very well. I have been using it primarily as a jazz bass, but is also a great orchestral bass. The string length is 41.25" so it is easy to get around, especially with the sloping shoulders. Comes with thick padded cover and choice of any string set under $150 in Lemur's catalog. More pics available on request. Also considering trades for other doublebasses.
  2. mhjazzbass

Mar 28, 2002
    Sorry, also the bass is located near Boston. I'm hoping to get $12,000 for it.

3. chaurett

chaurett Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Storrs Mansfield
    Where around Boston? I am currently selling my bass (English 1850, possibly James Cole Sr.) and looking to move to a modern instrument. I've heard some good things about Gabute. I'm looking to get $23,000 for my bass. I don't know what price range you are looking in but I may be willing to make a deal...
  4. mhjazzbass

Mar 28, 2002
    I'm in Weymouth. I would be intersted in looking at your bass, but that's really out of my price range. I'm trying to either trade even or slightly lower if I find something I like. Thanks for writing!