Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gah! Am I doing the right thing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, Dec 15, 2004.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    So, I recently decided that I'm going to sell my Lakland bass to get my wife a Cannon Digital Rebel for Christmas. The strange thing is she hasn't even asked for it :eyebrow: I mean she really wants one, but she knows we don't have $1000 to spend on a camera, so I really would like to surprise her with it.

She's one of the most selfless people I know. I usually have to TELL her to go buy something for herself. She's also really cool about me getting new gear. For example - When I brought home my new upright, about 6 or 7 months ago (which I didn't consult her about before hand) her response was "Oh cool! I wanna take some pictures of it!" This just makes me want to get this camera for her even more. She deserves something cool like this.

So here's my list of pros and cons -

Cons:
    -I. Love. This. Bass.

Pros:
    - It's really the only bass that I have that I dont have some kind of emotional attachment to. My TRB6P was a wedding gift from my old bass instructor so I can't in good conscience get rid of that one.
    - I got the bass for free, so basically if I sold it to get the camera I'd have nothing into the camera.
    - I'm a Lakland dealer, so it's not like I can't get another one.
    - Most importantly it would make her really happy.

So, do you guys think I'm doing the right thing? I always said I'd never get rid of gear to get anything other than more gear, but marriage kind of changes things hehe.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think it would be a very cool thing to do. --As long as it's not some rare model you'll never see again (I know zip about Laklands) I say go for it.

3. Go for it dude!!

4. Go for it. Get your wife something really cool. :cool:

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Okay, that's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't insane for moving the piece.

Kind of funny how marriage changes ya, eh?

6. I'd say go for it. Judging by your post, it sounds like you seem to get more "presents" then she does (not that that's a bad thing). This would be a great time to even things out.

7. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    go for it man, it will show her how much she means to you if you are willing to sell an instrument to buy her something. good man.

8. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Yes, you are! Being married almost ten years now, I am always trying to find ways to make my wife really happy!

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Yah. That's why I stopped marrying after my second divorce.
    :rolleyes:
    :D

Cheers,
    JL

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yup I would say go for it. What about getting some financing for it? Somw places do the no interest for a year. Which is a good deal if you are strict on making payments.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Apparently B'aces High, reasonbass and Blisshead are the council of elders.

brad cook

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    LOL

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, if you can't talk yourself out of it, why would expect US to? Make wife happy NOW, & she'll support GAS attacks later...

14. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Precisely...

15. Do it.

Mike

16. lol. Hey, im only 26.
    :) I'm more like a squire to the elders ;)

17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'd say do it, for all the reasons you listed and more.

Too bad I already have a 55-02 or I'd be interested.

18. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, I think the guy who gives bass lessons at my store is going to snag it up for a back up. If not, I gotta scramble to get it sold before Christmas. I kind of waited til the last second to decide to do this.

19. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Actually, do you guys have any suggestions as to where to buy the camera from? The best price I've seen so far as been from BH's online store. I think after the rebate it's like $769 or something like that....I'll have to double check.

Any shutterbugs out there have a favorite store for camera gear?

20. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Definitely do it, shows you care more about pleasing her then anything.....will get her a new nice shiney present....and could result in more "fun" with her after christmas is over and the kids *if you have them* go to sleep :bassist: