1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAH!! Where is that elusive "sound" I want?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drooldud, May 18, 2011.

1. Why oh why cant I find the sound I want?

I want a bass tone similar to:

Justin Chancellor of Tool
    Mike Dirnt of Green Day
    Nikki from Silversun Pickups
    the bass riff from "What is this?" by Faith No More

I use a very very good Ric 4001 copy with the treble pickup capacitor mod

I have the following at my disposal:

Peavey BAM Head
    GK 1001rb ii
    Sansamp RPM (haven't tried this in a long time)

2 ampeg 410 hlf
    older mesa powerhouse 1000 with evm speakers (though i need a new 15L)

If someone has a good idea of what i'm looking for, please help! My brain is crying tears of whale blood.

PS: Part of me thinks i need a gk 2001 (so i can have a dirty channel) and older Mesa Diesel cabs (4x10 and 1x15) to help get me where I want to go..... or a 4x12, 8x10 and 2x15 by Mesa...just because =)

2. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    For the tool tone I've found using a 4X10 cab with the eq flat except slightly boosted upper mids with a good amount of gain works well. For greenday scoop the mids, no gain and throw in a bbe sonic maximiser.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You know what, I JUST saw it walking past. It was going that way --->

Honestly, the tones you listed are pretty wide spread. Gear used, playing technique, FX and not to mention "studio magic" have roles in all of their tones.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Can you post a link to "What is This" on YouTube? I can't find it in their discography.

5. Munji ... The song is actually called EPIC.

To the OP, you don't need a 2001RB, the G-K diesel dawg pedal is the OD channel of the 2001. It is heavier than their new micro heads and the tone is nasty compared to the Tech21 VTBass pedal. I own the 1001RB-II and had the diesel dawg pedal, I have moved on. All the best to you in your continuing quest for the ultimate tone. Cheers.

6. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    Patton keeps singin "what's it - what is this"... in the bridge of "epic". Might be he's talkin about that song.

In that case, I advise a decent overdrive and some mid content.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK. Then he's going to need a VT Bass for that.

8. So Should I try...

1001rb --> Sansamp RPM in FX Loop
    into ampeg 4x10?

or

Sansamp into Poweramp into both Ampeg 4x10hlf?

I think part of my issue is I have no dirt in my sound.

And yes, I had a brain fart.. the song is Epic - Faith no More.

I play in a 3pc and need something that can fill the void when the guitarist is doing solos.

Another thought, since I love the tone of my old EVM speakers, does anyone know the science of how those would work in my ampeg hlf cab? Those cabs are hevily ported and have a tweeter so I dunno how that would work? Thanks everybody.

9. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I actually have the same gear as you; GK1001rb-II and a Mesa Roadready 1000 (Powerhouse, only built in a flight).

My signal-chain goes from a Fender Highway One Jazz to:
    MXR Bass Octave Deluxe --> Bass Big Muff --> Sansamp BDDI with the blendknob at 9 o'clock --> EBS Multicomp --> GK

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I will bet the OP sounds *much* closer to what he wants if he listened to himself in the mix - outside of the mix it's very hard to tell how you will sound *in* the mix.

11. older powerhouse with the EV drivers? or newer with the neo's? These EV Drivers just sound so damn good!!

12. any ideas on putting my ev's in my ampeg? any takers at all?

13. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    My Mesa has the EV Drivers and yeah, they do sound damn good! However, it took some time to dial in my tone.

As for putting the EV's in the Ampeg, I dunno.

14. That elusive sound you're looking for... is in my amp :ninja:

15. any more ideas or suggestions?
    or anyone who knows about putting my ev's im my ampeg?

16. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Many of Tool's bass tones require chorus to sound right.

Get a chorus and a VT bass pedal, and practice a lot.

17. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    I think you need a real Ric...:bag:

18. am i better with a vt pedal rather than my rpm?

and ha ha on the ric quip! :p i think ric will be one of the biggest issues in getting the tone i want........but i love it :)

19. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Well, for Nikki's tone that is quite simple-P Bass with a pick. Nothing else sounds like this (also the only way to get Kim Deal's tone from the Pixies on Doolittle)
    Mike Dirnt's Tone: Gibson Grabber, with a pick as hard as possible, a little overdrive from somewhere.
    Faith No More is tougher because he primarily uses ZON basses and is really getting some studio magic to produce that tone. I am pretty sure he uses a pick as well. I have loved the tone on Epic since I was 14 and have never been able to get it either. I bet he doesn't either in a live setting...
    In generally, I would say you seem to like pick players, so I hope you use a pick!
    The good news, is that a Ric with a Pick will cop Chris Squire's tone no problem! :)

20. steve.roark

steve.roark

Dec 25, 2010
    Rick's have a mid range growl unlike anything else. You are not going to reproduce the tone you are looking for with that. Just my opinion. Sorry.