Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAH! Writer's block!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, May 18, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've run into some serious writer's block, ladies and gentlemen. A fellow TBer asked me to write a song with these requirements: it has to be in A minor, 80 beats per minute, and in 13/8. I was able to whip up the first two minutes of the song pretty quickly, and then... nothing. Absolutely nothing. I've been working on it today for about 5 hours, and haven't added a single thing. I can't seem to figure out where to go with it at all. I don't know if I want to make it some long, drawn out prog rock epic, or keep it short and sweet (like 8 minutes or so :D ). Ugh!

Here's what I've got so far: Asshat

What do you guys do when you get writer's block? I'm willing to try just about anything at this point to get inspired again.

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Make it short and sweet.

3. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    So was this some sort of challenge or something?

For me anyway, the best thing for writers block is to walk away. Forget it for a while, locate a cerveza, and listen to something the complete opposite of whatever style you're trying to write. Although for you're particular style, the opposite would probably be blink-182, and i'd never recommend that to anyone. hmm...

If it was a TalkBass challenge, I say turn it into a true talkbass challenge. Turn it into a musical story time thread.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How is it you're a musical genius again?

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Are you kidding me? I am so lame it hurts.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You need release of some sort or another; be it skiing, swimming, jogging, sleeping, walking, fighting, snorkeling, bungee jumping, sex, jumping, racing, snowboarding, sledding, making waffles, diving, cooking, eating, learning, orating, ranting, shooting pigeons, designing, delivering pizza, proctoring, reducing, milking a cat, kissing, plowing, lugeing, drinking, making cheese wearing lingerie, climbing, or anything along those lines.

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    He could also try killing some kittens. That usually helps me when I'm stuck on a design.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I'll pretend you didn't say that and bid you good day.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

oh so milking them is okay but killing them isn't!??

hurumph mister double standard :rollno: :p

10. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That's what I'm thinking!

Also, I'm gonna pretend you know that I'm not talking about actually killing kittens, and really know that I'm talking about the M word. :-D

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I know! I know! jeez forget a smilie here and there.... :bag:

12. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Asshat?!?!? What kind of name is that?

13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

14. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Oh, well that's alright. Carry on. :D

15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Asshat is just a working title. I will make a real name for it when it's finished.

Thor... have you been doing drugs? This stuff is whack!

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm still weirded out by "making cheese while wearing lingerie"...Are you going to use milk from the cats? :eyebrow:

17. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    What else would we use?

Duh. :rollno:

18. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Just walk away from it.

Do something completely unrelated to it. Eventually something will pop into your head unexpectedly. The reason you have a block is that you are too immersed in it right now and have lost objectivity.

Getting away from it for a spell, will help you regain objectivity and see it as something new and fresh again.

19. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Change up the Time Signatures.

20. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I was having a bad case of writer's block last week. My band is writing new material and I was trying to write a new riff and just could not play anything that I was happy with. I tried a few different things like putting it down and trying to come back to it later, listening to different kinds of music, etc. The thing that ended up working for me was actually finding a new band in the same genre (metal) that I was trying to write in. It was inspiring to just hear some NEW music and see a 'new' perspective on metal. After listening to the band's cd all day at work, I went home and wrote the best riff I have probably written to date. I just needed a new source of inspiration.